This Disappears When Logged In

Zilla! (Sav Monitor)

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by poorMtnKids, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poorMtnKids

poorMtnKids Active Member

So here are some pictures of Zilla. Really not sure if its a he or she as of yet but these pictures are from the past four months that I have had him/her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top pictures are most recent and get older as going down.

2. SashaBlue

SashaBlue Member

Wow, thats really cool!! Will he/she get up to 6feet like a lot of the monitor lizards do? If I had a spare room, and my own place, I would totally get one!

3. poorMtnKids

Well this is my first so I don't really know from experience how big they get. From what I have read in between 2 and 1/2 and four feet. He is small so I don't think he will get to the max, but who knows

4. Jay Ras

Jay Ras Active Member

They can be anywhere from 2.5 to about 5 feet but i think they're usually 3-4 ft. You are lucky you got him as a baby. You should make sure you hold him at least once a day and interact with him as much as you can. I recently picked up a rescued sav, and he can be pretty nasty at times especially when I try to take him out of the cage. He's about 22 inches right now. I'm working with him as much as I can because you don't want a 3+ foot monitor mad at you. But great pics. He looks like a healthy and happy little guy!

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Of course he is small, he's a baby! That is no indication on how big he will get. You'd better start planning his adult enclosure now!

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Congrats on your little one

8. poorMtnKids

Thanks for the comments everyone. THe reason I don't think he is going to be all that big is because he is not growing too fast. I have had him since mid June and now its late October and he has grown at most an inch.
    As for his adult house I have a tank that should hold him off for a while. Its 5.5ft long 3 wide and 2.5 tall. I am sure he could grow out of that but it will hold him for at least a couple of years. I usually try and let him come out once before I leave to work and once when I get home. And then my lady also gets him out so he is chill around us.

9. poorMtnKids

some updated pics! He is a character

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have no idea why he was basking like this or how it was comfortable

10. kriminaal

Believe me, I've seen some far stranger sleeping habits than that.
    Reptiles seem to be the kings of strange sleeping positions.

11. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Beautiful little guy/girl. If I ever got into big lizards I would probably go with a Savannah, to bad they're illegal in Massachusetts with out a permit.

12. kriminaal

Nothing wrong with permits.
    Makes people have to think before acquiring an animal.

13. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Actually your pretty much right. If it wasn't for the permit I'd probably end up getting one, but then would have some problems when it comes to going to college. Guess that's something for after I graduate, until then I'll stick with the small stuff.

14. kriminaal

Gees, I wish your intelligence was contagious to many many other potential Sav owners.
    Very smart move.

15. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Haha thanks for the compliment that just made my day :) !!! But yeah I like to think things through before I get something. Unless I go to school close to home I don't see getting anything bigger than a corn snake working out.

16. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

Very cute little one! Looks healthy however, I'm concerned with your set up. I see you have sand as substrate. And I'm assuming you have a screen top on your enclosure, which is not good for holding heat or humidity. I'm not sure what the basking temp is for a baby sav, it's lower than the temp you would have for a juvenile or adult. Humidity should be between 50-60%. I use potting soil for substrate it helps with humidity, its easy to clean up, and savs like it:)

17. poorMtnKids

We already took the sand out. Right now he has the rept. carpet and it seems to be working fine for now because of how small he is. In a month or so he is getting a bigger enclosure. The top is a screen top but I covered it with foil and the humidity is around 30

18. kriminaal

The humidity is too low. It's probably the same as the rest of the house.
    You need to seal it up and create more humidity in there.
    The carpet is not suitable for monitors. You need some dirt in there. If you wet it down it will hold the moisture if you seal the top off better.
    Hope I'm not sounding too harsh but the way your setup currently is has killed many a Sav before.

19. poorMtnKids

Thanks for your info I will try and seal it up better so the humidity does not leave as easy. As for the dirt/carpet. Iam going to stick with the carpet untill my monitor gets a little more skilled at catching his prey. Right now he swallows way too much of the substrate and at one point I could tell he was inpacted for about 2 weeks. Once I switched him over the carpet he actually pooped all the sand out a few days later and he started to eat again . During that time he did not even touch his food. So I think while he is smaller Iam going to stick with untill he gets more skilled or will eat from a dish.

I have come to learn that there are many opinions from everyone on here and the best way to go is with how your monitor reacts to the situation. Someone told me on here to have a basking site of 120+ I did that and he would not even go on the basking spot it was too hott for him. so I lovered it to about 95-105 and instantlly he went back. Someone told me to get rid of the Calci sand and go with dirt. So I got rid of the sand but did not go with dirt for now due to the fact that sand and dirt are pretty close to each other if he swallows one or the other its going to be bad so the best solution was the carpet. Thanks for your opinions though but I have to stick with what my lizzard is telling me! =)

20. kriminaal

Wow. You don't hear that very often.:p
    But you are a smart monitor owner. That's exactly what monitor keeping is about. Watching and adjusting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.