This Disappears When Logged In

Zigge

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by G8ERMAN, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

My Iguana, Ziggy, is 3' and he has his own room that is 10' X 20', for during the day. I keep it warm and he stays on a small tree in the window, in the sun light. I keep him in another tank at night. I know the humidity needs to be higher.

Is it a good idea to get a humidifier?

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Yes its good to get a humidifier, why are you moving him every night? a tank is horrible for your ig, no tank is big enough for a 3' ig and the temps can't be right and he can't choose what he wants it to be.

If its not safe 24/7 for him it is not safe for him during the day, also you need UVB lighting and how warm is warm? Basking needs to be between 85-90ish so they can digest their food, and if you don't already you can put a pan of water (large kitty tray) and they go to the bathroom (normally) in that.

3. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

I dont know why I move him I gess it's because I never left him in a room that size before. As for the temps it stays right under 80F, and I take him outside almost every day. There's a 150-gal tank in the room with him that I keep fresh water in, and I have a good sized water dish for him. I do need to get a better lighting system for him.

I failed to mention that I've had him for 2 months. I mainly work with alligators, crocs, and an array of reptiles at a place called Gator Country.

4. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Ambient temps need to be about 85 F, and there should be a basking area that is 95-98F. The basking area is mandatory.

While it's great that your iguana can see out the window all day, most of the beneficial UVB rays are filtered by the glass; therefore, you need to supplement with a good quality UVB light. We recommend using a MegaRay.

Based on your threads, it sounds like you're off to a pretty good start at what we call "ig slavery." :) I want to encourage you to pick up a copy of "Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual" by James W. Hatfield, III. It's the best care guide currently available.

Also... WELCOME to Herp Center! :)

5. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

Thank you for the info, I just got a harness for him and I bring him outside almost every day to. He loves it.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

A few hours in the sun every day is the best UVB out there for him, however its still good to get him a warm basking area for the room. Without the proper heat, he can't digest. Look into the Megaray bulbs.
    www.reptileuv.com

Where are you located?

7. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

OK thank you, the room he's in is just temporary. He's going to have his own area in a loft in my barn. I'm thinking about a 10' X 20' area netted off. How many light do y'all think I might need. I'm thinking maybe two humidifiers since it's going to be netted off, unless y'all might have other suggestions?

I live in Beaumont, Southeast Texas.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

One humidifier might do it. I would get one, then let it run for a few days, and with a HYGROMETER (purchased at any hardware store for $8) get an accurate reading on the humidity. If its still too dry, add a 2nd one.

And your ig would probably do fine with one basking spot to be warm under, but if its too chilly, you may want to add an oil space heater.

9. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

Ok Thank you, what about the the netting im going to net off the open side. Would it do fine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.