This Disappears When Logged In

Young Savanna Nap

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by reptileden0, Mar 2, 2011.

1. reptileden0

reptileden0 Active Member

heres a question for ya... my little savanna chooses to sit on me and "naps". It climbs up on me usually sitting on my chest or against my neck occasionally peeking into my eyes and touching my face when I talk to it. However some places Ive read have said "they dont sleep on you. They are actually are shutting you out. " and " that is causing undue stress for your animal". So much contaversy My herp friend agrees with my thoughts on this.I feel it sees me as a warm comfort zone, food source, and source of new things it likes. This 20" lizard comes out of its cave to me even when I dont have food. It is an amazing animal. Smart and fairly calm. It really likes women and will not whap us. However, men make it very defensive and it will aproach with tail ready to strike. My boyfriend has been gettin on its good side slowly by being part of target training feeding and cage cleaning. It rarely shuts its eyes to close us out. Picking it up is amazingly easy because it adjusts it body in my hand before being lifted. It likes outings and remains close to me when scouting. If something makes it uncomfortable it returns to my lap.

What do you think? I would like to hear from other Bosc owners. :D

The reason I ask is because ive never had my own baby. Ive had rescues that were much larger that I worked with but they didnt have much fear of predators so they did well when I got them mentally relocatable so others could care for them. That was always successfull and most lived into their estimated late teens.

This juvinile has an amazing amount of potential, and it amazes me every day with its willingness to be around me. Plus, we havnt had this one long.

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

no matter how incredibly tame he may seem now, he is still a wild animal at heart, and though he may be comfortable in handling there may be a time when he is not so nice,

For instance, I was holding a full grown adult male, who I might say "chose" me as hi handler, refusing to sit calmly with anyone, he would wiggle and squirm, tail thrash to get away from everyone if he even sensed me in the area.

Anyways, I was cuddling with him, head on my shoulder, gently rocking as you would a baby, just like any other time I have worked with him, when he looked at me, and bit me in the neck, and refused to let go.

Thankfully I remained calm and there was someone to help get him off, if I did not have someone nearby, I hate to think what damage he would have done! I still have a faint set of scars on my neck, the wounds took 5 weeks to heal and required 2 rounds of strong antibiotics because infection set in within 2 days.

3. reptileden0

Brutal! It is good that someone was there! They do have strong mouths and nasty bacteria. I do understand that reptiles arent domesticated. I have never had a bite proof reptile because that doesnt exist. As the baby gets larger it will be handled accordingly. We are especially carefull not to have food smells on us especially after feeding.

4. Max713

Max713 Elite Member

That made me smile how you described your interaction him/her, although I agree with brat, always be aware!

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

It's important to note that although monitors are intelligent, Their brain power does not rise to the level of being capable of affection. My savannah of over 4 years comes running to me not because she has any love for me, She has simply been conditioned at an early age that I am the bringer of food. Nothing more, nothing less.
    And when a monitor, especially a young one, gets removed from it's enclosure and held by it's owner, It is stressed. The closing of the eyes is not sleep. It doesn't mean that it is so comfortable being with you that it is taking a nap. The animal is closing its eyes to minimize the stress.
    Think about it, When you were a small child and you were watching a scary movie, And it reached that point where it got just a bit more scary than you could handle, What did you do? You shut your eyes! You probably put your hands over your eyes too. I did.

6. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Some good advice there!

I'm quite sure there's quite a number of so called tame savs out there, but they'll express their likes/dislikes with claws & mouths!!

There's a big difference between a tame sav with a good basking spot that covers the whole of the body & one with no basking spot, their little power houses when heated right!:)

7. reptileden0

It is excellent advice. Undomesticated and even domesticated creatures can only express with mouths and feet. Thats why each gets handled accordingly. I am used to bites from helping injured or ill reptiles, I take it with a grain of salt. But for other people, one bite from their pet can make them afraid or want to get rid of it. It does hurt. The wounds do infect. But I see it as part of owing and learning any pet. Every day I go to the enclosure I prepare for a potential bite. My Bosc however isn't very nippy as we have been target training feeding, as well as work with her in her enclosure with in her comfort zone. She digs where I dig. She comes bumbling right up to us when we do a certain floor pat. But She could always decide ... mmm food! or MY PLACE GET out! So we watch her. Look for signals, and always prepare for her reactions.

I thank you all for your thoughts and knowledge!

8. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

When I here of monitors sleeping on there keepers the first thing I think of is the husbandry is off.A properly heated monitor will do one of two things when out of its cage

1 seek cover because they don't like being exposed in unfamiliar places

2 explorer because curiosity got the best of them

Greg