This Disappears When Logged In

young ig feeding

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by meg, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meg

meg Member

We've had Rex about 3 weeks now and was told he was 1-2 months when we got him. He's really taming well for that amount of time. He just started his first shed, and he hasn't been eating much at all the last few days... is this normal? Also, I have questions about his feeding. Everywhere I read says to give him a wide variety, and I realize this will change but he eats so little now I feel like I am wasting a ton of food because it goes bad before he eats it all, or he just eats a teeny bit of it and I feel like I'm not supposed to give him any more of that particular veggie for a week or so. How is best to feed a young ig? Right now every day he gets dandelion, collard, or mustard greens with grated carrot, squash, zucchini, etc or chopped strawberries, canned pumpkin (his favorite), mashed banana, etc. He'll eat two or three strawberries then I have to throw out the whole carton because all the books say he shouldn't have the same food every day or he'll get selective and picky. What has been your experience?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter! What book are you looking at?
    Please take time to peruse our caresheet.
    http://reptileguides.herpcenter.com/green-iguana-care-t39.html?t=39
    You don't have to worry about them getting picky. My Zok has been fed the basic staples daily for 7 years and has yet to show any sign of not wanting to eat!
    A baby iguana doesn't really eat that much but enjoy it now,..that will change!
    Your diet needs a bit of tweaking. You should be feeding the greens daily. The three standards are collard, mustard, and turnip greens. These three are the staples and should comprise 75-80% of the diet every day. Dandelions are good as well if they are harvested from and area that is known to be free of any chemical contamination. Also endive and watercress are good additions. You want about 10-15% to be the veggies with just a touch of fruit for variety.
    The carrots should not be fed daily nor should the bananas. Bananas are ok as an occasional treat.
    In place of the carrots you can use parsnips. Orange skinned squash and greenbeans are also good additions.
    Watch out for the canned pumpkin as it serves as a very effective laxative!
    To avoid wasting the greens you can use them in your own salads. They are good for us as well! Just be sure to slice the collards up thin as they are a bit leathery.
    Likewise the strawberries. Split them up between the ig and you!
    Not only will you avoid wasting food but it will improve your diet as well.

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome and I hope you are enjoying your new baby iguana. Merlin is right about the diet needs....good luck with your new baby...glad to hear the taming is coming along....best wishes!!

4. meg

meg Member

Thanks so much. It's good to be reassured I dont have to rotate it all as much. We've picked up a few different books and read alot online and it said a lot about variety. The banana and carrots he's only had once a week. I just felt like I was throwing out way too many greens since I was rotating his main greens. All his greens are safe, especially the dandelions - I buy them at the local health food/organic market. Good to know about the pumpkin too, as that is the one thing he always gobbles right up. I have been giving him a full bowl of greens with small amounts of the shredded veggies every day (as near to a 15% ratio as I can get in a small amount of food) and the fruits about twice a week in small amounts. I had read in one place that to strive for variety he should have 10 different food items a week. At this size he eats so little that that seems excessive and even if my boyfriend and I were eating them they would still spoil as we have to buy an entire bunch of each item.

So am I understanding that it is ok to give him, say, collard greens for 5 days in a row with the small amounts of veggies then after the collards are gone give him mustards for 5 days, etc.? That I dont have to vary the staples from day to day?

And thanks Lyn. He really is such a joy. I was a bit skeptical at first when my boyfriend and I decided to get him but now that he willingly climbs up on my hand for his "cuddle time" I just love him more and more each day. :D My little Rex Harrison has turned out to be quite a charmer. (yes, we are working on the assuption that he's a he until we know otherwise)

I appreciate your speedy replies. It's great to know I can come here if we have any trouble and get advice from experienced owners.

5. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Another option you may want to look into is ReptiGreens. You can buy as little as 1/4 pound at a time. In fact, the premium blend has about 17 different items (a 1/4 lb sells for about $4.35). You can arrange for regular shipments, and the ingredient list changes weekly. I'm not sure what the shipping costs, but these are organic greens, prewashed, cut, and ready to serve. PLUS you'll get a larger variety than you could on your own!

I haven't started using this service... yet. But I plan to within after the holidays. :)

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Steph I love you! I've been looking for that link for weeks!

Meg- you could try to find a store that can sell you the greens by weight rather than by the bunch, or you could try to find another herbivore owner in your area who will split with you.

I buy about 8 bunches of greens a week for my monster, I wish i had to worry about what to do with them all!

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Lol.. I lost count of how many bunches of greens I buy a week,, I think it is in the estimate of 30 or so:eek:

On another note you have gotten some excellent diet advice;)

8. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

People stare at me when I load up with armloads of greens ...I just smile and move on...:rolleyes:

9. Merlin

No place around here sells fresh greens by the pound.
    Its by the bunch or nothing.

10. Moshpitrockchick

It's by the tiny super expensive bunch here because no one eats them, but finding them by the lb could happen somewhere, in my dreams maybe....

11. Merlin

I pay about .77-.99 a bunch for greens depending on where I go.
    And the size of the "bunch" seems to vary seasonally!

12. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I pay 2.49 a bunch now for greens:eek: And in the winter time they are always extremely small bunches. I have always paid a ton as they are considered gourmet here. I dont know how,, as I think they are a big YUCK! lol

13. Moshpitrockchick

$2.99 for a bunch of collards dandelion or mustard, we don't have turnip greens around here, I can usually find endive, escarole, kale, chard, parsley or cilantro for $1.99 or so.

14. nicole

nicole Elite Member

we dont have turnip greens either,, so in the summer I usually grow them myself, and toss the yucky turnips, lol

15. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

They sell collards only by the bunch around here - for around $1.50 each. But the mustards, turnip greens, kale and other seasonal greens they sell by the pound (depending on the time of year, from 60 cents to 99 cents, usually). Generally a week's worth of food for both the iguana and the uro costs me under ten dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.