This Disappears When Logged In

Young Blue Iguana Help

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Laura F., Aug 25, 2018.

1. Laura F.

Laura F. New Member

Hello Everyone!

I am a new iguana owner and I have some questions. My iguana has some missing scales. I am not sure if she (as we call them Saphira even though we don't know the sex yet) rubbed them off, fell off, or something else. She is about 16-18 weeks old and is about 22 inches long.

We have had her for about 6 weeks. We bought her for my niece who turned 16 as a birthday present after thoroughly researching iguana needs, requirements, life expectancy, and size. She has shed once and her head began "graying" a little bit 2 days ago, which was how she shed the first time. Her head and some other areas are graying. I noticed the patches of missing scales this afternoon.

Her air temperature in the cage is average 85 - 90, with basking area being around 100, which she does not like to use. Generally she hides in the foliage or under her coconut shells. She eats a variety of leafy greens and squashes and eats fruits like mango. She prefers to eat "after" hours when her day lamp turns off, though we feed her at least twice. She has a shallow water dish that she likes to swim in, especially at night. I can sometimes hold her and sometimes she has an attitude and does not want to be held or touched.

I do have 3 dogs who are not around her or her cage, which is currently a 40 gallon tank. We are currently in process of researching and building a larger habitat for when she is larger in size. Any information is helpful. I am also attaching pictures of her and her habitat.

Attached Files:

2. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Please upgrade the cage as soon as you can. A glass tank with a screen top doesn't give a stable climate to a tropical species at all. The heat and humidity goes right out that screen. A custom built cage with a lot more height would be a better starter cage. Maybe a 4x3x4....just to throw a number out there for you. Give a lot of branches to climb on as well. I'm sure you can find some decent iguana cages in the forum section of people uploading their own cage pictures, this forum is good for that.

As for handling, please don't force anything. I know you said sometimes she is ok with it and sometimes not. Any time she isn't wanting to be held...don't. Force handling causes a great deal of stress which can cause their cortisol levels to rise and in turn, compromise their overall health. Just take things slow since she is still relatively new to you. Some animals take longer to settle in than others. But the speed of their tolerance towards their keeper has a lot to do with how one gained their trust...again, force handling never makes things move along faster than hands of and a slower approach to interacting with them.

I'm not sure on those scales that have come off but if you are keeping the cage too wet, that might be a cause. Do you have an exotics vet you can go to in place already?

3. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Just so you have the iguana cages section right at hand, I linked it below. Take a look at these examples to get some ideas and how you can put one together based on your cage building abilities. I'm not an expert cage builder myself but I can handle making a decent one. I'd be happy to help with advice or more cage building links if you don't even know where to start.

Iguana Enclosures | Reptile Forums - Information