This Disappears When Logged In

You Know You Have a Problem When...

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by TitoAndKatt, Jun 13, 2010.

1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

...you know the animal's name before you even see it, and the second you see it you know exactly which piece of furniture will be rearranged to fit it in. ;) haha My boyfriend and I talked and he is going to adopt an
    "aggressive" anerythristic baby that is up for adoption for free. I have all of the set up already, and my bf has wanted a snake fora long time. We are both very excited! :D He is VERY flighty and defensive and strikes a lot. Our plan is to cover the tank really well and we have several hides. He will be in a quite room too with no handling for the first week of course. What are your suggestions for handling to reduce fear and "aggression?" I think it is mostly the stress of being in a pet store setting but we will see if he mellows out when he gets home. Any suggestions?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Can't help you with the snake stuff, but I'm very excited for both of you. So what is the snakes name (Aggression)? Don't forget pictures of the little one, or pictures of the bites that I'm sure your boyfriend will be receiveing (just joking) babies don't bit right. hehe:D I don't believe I've seen this type of corn before. Congratulations on the baby to be.

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Haha Pictures will come (when my camera is working again - so I hope soon!). Here is what he looks like... anery1.jpg
    His name is Pluto. The Roman god of the Underworld. Satan didn't quite fit. ;) haha And the grey has a nice little blue-ish tint to it like many greys do. But yeah, I saw him today and I truly think that he is just majorly stressed and frightened/defensive. I don't blame him. My roommate (works at the pet store) claims that she thinks he was incubated at too high of a temp because that makes for aggressive snakes. I call balogna on that one. What do you think? I think he sill take a lot of work but given the proper conditions, his own cage, and good handling he will come around. :)

Attached Files:

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Oscar Mayer!:p
    I have never heard THAT one before!
    Some of them are just defensive but most will quickly settle down.
    Our herp shop had an Okeetee hatchling I was looking at and as soon as I took it out it went to flailing and biting for all it was worth. Of course at that size it might as well have just been banging its head on my hand.
    Of course you do from time to time get one that just will not behave!
    But those are the exception.

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

LOL merlin, I wanted to name my first born son Oscar (my last name is Meyer)_ but my wife nixed that plan. I settled on naming my 1st boa Oscar.

some snakes will never loose the aggressivenes. We had a corn named Sid (after Sid Vicious) cus he would never stop striking. I swear that thing bit me over 200 times. I finally traded it in for some feeders.

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Haha Oscar Mayer indeed! That is good to know. :) And Ken, tell your wife I am disappointed - that would have been awesome to name your kid Oscar! :D The store has had the baby for 4 months and I have been told that, regardless of the amount of handling they give him, he has not become any better. I still think he is just scared and stressed - perhaps he is more sensitive than the other corns there and their extra handling has made him more frightened. That is my theory. I REALLY hope that he calms down for us. :) We are going to go get him on the way to my bf's place in a few hours. I will let you know how it all goes. The snake is getting all of Galileo's old stuff - ten gallon tank, UTH, heat lamp (his room gets cold) etc,and plenty of hides.
    What ar your best recommendations for handling to calm him? Obviously we will give him a nice settling in period, but after that? I have heard that just snatching him before he has the chance to react is best rather than going slow and having this huge scary hand hovering over him for eons just slowly coming to eat him (and giving him time to strike - I am sure that baby corn bites are terribly painful ;) )... How long should it take him to calm down? (Getting the ONE in 10000000 that stays defensive/aggressive would be just my luck lol I hope I don't pass my luck to my bf...) I know it will be different for each snake, but what is about average for a frightened and defensive snake to settle in and get used to the idea that no, we are not going to eat him...? lol

By the time he is done with his settling in period I should have my new camera charger, so I will get real pics as soon as I can. ;)

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Good luck with him. Lots of handling should help. Can't wait for those pics!

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What a beautiful little guy, Pluto in a very nice name. I guess your BF has his work cut out for him.
    Ken, I don't blame your wife I think little Oscar Meyer would have been teased so much with that handle. Sorry, just me. Maybe a middle name Oscar. :)
    Enjoy your little one, Oh I mean your boyfriend little one, not yours right!!;)

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Well I snapped a few pictures with my phone for you guys. ;) Sorry for the bad quality but we will get better ones soon. :) After getting him home and being able to look at him better, I think that he is not the morph I originally though - there seems to possibly be some red pigmentation in him, almost like a little blush to his cheeks. Any idea what morph he is?

Setting up the cage...
    061300_114700.jpg

061300_115700.jpg

061300_115900.jpg

In the box
    061300_120101.jpg

061300_120100.jpg

Exploring...
    061300_120300.jpg

061300_120200.jpg

The last one is my favorite. He is absolutely gorgeous. I really hope he comes around! :D My boyfriend is super excited, as am I. haha I know he will be a great snake parent. He has wanted this for a while now. His mom is not super thrilled but you know, life goes on. lmao

Morph ideas?

Attached Files:

10. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Looks like he might be a snow.

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Def not a snow. He is a relatively dark grey. I am thinking either Anery or Charcoal? What is the difference between those 2? Any other primarily grey morphs?

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Maybe like a dark lavender? I will need a better picture to show you guys later...

I think he is a Charcoal...

13. Merlin

As for handling him, the snatch and grab method is not a good idea. That would be the behavior of a predator.
    Take it slow and gentle.

14. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Hmmm that is a good point too. Perhaps I didn't describe it right either so what do you think of this: not a "snatch and grab" so much as reaching in quickly (the "normal" rate, just however fast or slow you would normally grab a snake) but with confidence and NO hesitation. I think that the idea of what I read/was saying was that hovering your hand in there all hesitant a) lets the animal sense that you are afraid or uncertain, and b) the longer you hover there the more you are freaking the animal out. So not really darting in and snatching him up, but rather just going in confidently and just picking him up before he has a chance to dart off. Otherwise, he will dart off and then you are stuck chasing him around the cage...

15. Merlin

Thats more like it but you still want to move easily and without jerky movements. Confident is a good description.
    But waiting a moment to allow the snake to realize that you are not a predator or a food item is a good thing.

16. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Ok thanks! He last ate on Wed and is supposedly a good eater. They said that he will eat several pinkies. With Shiiva I typically feed until she will no longer eat which has never been more than 1-2 prey items. I was told this little guy would probably eat 5 pinkies if we let him! He is not overly thick or anything, so upgrading to bigger food isn't really an option yet. How many pinkies should we offer?

Our current plan is to leave him for a week, then feed him, and start handling a few days after feeding. Then he has a week to settle, and a few extra days to digest and settle even more. I was moving stuff in the cage (I had to tip it to stick a UTH under there) and a rock tilted that he was hiding under. I didn't want to smoosh him putting it back, so I gently flushed him out. He let me touch him for a bit (he was sleeping) and then he kind of slowly woke up and looked at me. I saw him realize I was looking at him, and he just darted off a second later. No signs of aggression, just avoidance and probably fear. That gives me hope that he will come around quite nicely. :)

17. Merlin

Cornsnakes are opportunists and if allowed will overeat. I would stick to one appropriately sized prey item every 5-7 days.

18. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Ok Thanks. Only 1? He has been eating 2-3, so would it be ok to feed 2 at least for the first time or 2? My roommate's corn snake always eats about 2 mice in a feeding, and Shiiva (bp) will often eat 2, esp when I am in between prey size upgrades (i.e. next size up is too big, current size too small).