This Disappears When Logged In

You Guys Were Right... Empty Cage Syndrome

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Andyc3020, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

My V. auffenbergi (blue spot timor monitor) does nothing but hide. I probably see him once every three weeks. I guess I'll know he's dead when the cage starts stinking. I wonder how many more years I'll be feeding an animal that I never see. Not only that, but he is almost impossible to find in his large cage. The cage is setup correctly.

I guess my only concern is I won't know if he gets sick.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

well eventually he will get comfortable enough to come out when your arround. It sucks but in time it will happen.

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Yeah I hope, but I have talked to experienced owners who never see theirs. Do you have experience with timors?

4. Saborun

Saborun Well-Known Member

what help do you need with them?

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I'm really just putting this thread out there so people will know what they are getting into when getting a timor or peacock monitor. Maybe I'm venting and looking for some re-assurance that he may be more social when he gets older haha. I don't mind a skittish animal, but an invisible animal is quite boring haha.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Try putting up a hidden camera because atleast then you could watch him from afar.
    I havent owned one but I have talked to a breeder who said that it took over a year before his timors got used to him and he would catch glimpses of them.

7. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Hidden camera is a good idea. I wonder if i can use a cell phone and my home wifi. Time to do some research. Good idea :)

8. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

It has been an exciting day. I caught a glemps of him... i forget how rewarding it is to actually see him. He's looking healthy and a little bigger. I added a big piece of cork bark tube near the upper middle of the cage and it seems like he likes it. He is able to scurry to the hollow log from his basking area so maybe he will be more comfortable now.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Very nice. Congratulations!

10. aubreyS

aubreyS Member

I bought a nile monitor and for two months he hid from me. I gave him a few weeks with no interactions except for feeding. He would always run and hid even if he saw anything that moved. Every so often I forced handled him but not in over bearing way. Ever so slowly he wouldn't run. And today he ate from my hand. So I say don't give up ever. I didn't. It take a lot and I mean a lot of patience. Good luck!

11. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Thanks. I havent handled him since i put him in the cage a few months ago. There is really no way to force handle him without being overbearing since he hates it so much. What i have been doing is putting a cricket in some tongs near his basking spot so he will get used to eating off tongs. Hopefully i can move on to him eating off tongs that im holding... then walk on my arm to eat.. maybe im too optimistic. at this point i cant get him to eat while im watching. I only assume he is eating since he is alive and the cage isnt overflowing with crickets. I have never seen him eat.

12. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

So I re-arranged his cage and made it a more easy for him to hide. Now he always hangs out inside the cork log toward the top of the enclosure. You can't see him if you don't know where to look, and don't have a flash light, but I can always find him now. I have been making sure he sees my hands putting the crickets right into his favorite tube, and today I finally after months saw him eat for the first time since I have owned him. :)

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, in terms of minutes in the day/week, how much do you spend relatively close to the enclosure (just sitting very quietly) since you`ve had the monitor?

14. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Timors are not the fragile monitors such as V.prasinus. Whereas forcing them into the open would likely kill them with stress.
    If it were me I would remove some of the hides and force (yes i said force oh no) him to interact with you.
    I did this with my v.tristis and it did wonders. Sure they need to get used to it. But it didn't take long.

I could never handle not having some visualization either. There's no point to it if you can't see them. Plus I need to see them eating so I keep track of their health.
    You can do it and see how he handles it.

15. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I spend a lot of time in that room. I have my other luzards in there and am always feeding, cleaning, adjusting etc.. something. Whenever i see him out i have a stool that i sit a few feet from the cage and watch him for 15 minutes or so. A couple times i opened the cage to try tong feeding him without success. Sometimes he runs away. Sometimes he just ignores me.

16. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

That is the exact opposite of what i have been told to do. Not criticizing your advice, i know you have had a lot of success with monitors. The thing is when i first set the enclosure up, he didnt have many good hides and he spent all of his time underground. There is no way he was basking enough to be healthy.now that he has more places to hide, i see him way more often.

17. Schuttsr1

Schuttsr1 Member

My timor was supper shy when I first received him too. Its been about six months not and I normally see him in the morning sitting at the top of his enclosure waiting for his day light to turn on. As long as I don't make any quick movements he doesn't flee to one of the holes he has dug. He doesn't stay out very long though he normally goes to one of his hides about 1 or 2 pm and that's were he stays for the night. What a life. I have also never tried to handle mine as he gets really hissy if I get my hand near him and he hates be squirted with water.

18. kriminaal

It was advice given to me from the breeder that I purchased them. If they always have the opportunity to hide, then they cannot know you are not a threat.
    I put a hollow log in pointed out where they could hide and still see me. I know it's very different advice from what everyone says and it was advice given for v.Tristis but might work for Timors as well.
    Like I said doing this for for fragile species would be a no-no.

19. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

actually the hollow log you just described also describes my monitor's favorite spot, so maybe I'm on the right track.

The Tube on the left in this pic.
    ZoNa7hT.jpg
    0Z0XTPw.jpg

20. kriminaal

Looks good. If he can see you moving around and keep an eye on you then eventually he'll become accustomed.
    Does take more time with Timors. Monitors have individual personalities. So I never believe all in a species can be grouped into a 'shy' category or 'aggressive'. A lot depends on how you interact with them.
    Done wrong I think all monitors would be shy and aggressive.