This Disappears When Logged In

You Aren't Gonna Believe This...

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Kazooguyz2, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

On Saturday the 14th at our local reptile show, I purchased a USED (out of the box and missing all packing materials) exo-terra small waterfall feature. I wasn't in the mood to get any more animals, besides I have NO MORE room. I was told the reason it was for sale was because the vendor decided to upgrade his gecko tank and wanted a bigger one.

Never thinking twice about where it was before, I thought a waterfall would look nice in my tomato frog tank and provide a little extra humidity. I set up the unit, got it running and it looked nice. Overnight it somehow stopped running properly and all the water had soaked my substrate almost to a mud state. As I was about to open the tank to remove it, I noticed an added occupant in the cage!! I was shocked to say the least!! Here is what I found:

After several phone calls to some friends that have geckos (Love the Baruu :p ) and searching the internet endlessly, I have determined it is a Dwarf Yellow Headed Gecko. Not sure if it's a male or not (assuming more colorful = male, drab color = female). I am calling it Lygos in reference to its Latin name. Have seen that it will only get 3.5 to 4 inches long and is mainly arboreal. Must be nearly full grown already. I have seen it eat small crickets and lapped up some gecko diet I bought and mixed with water to form a paste. (side note: the mix smells really nice and fruity :) ) Hoping to enjoy it for a while. Any info will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

SCORE!! :D

Hope you enjoy your unexpected new addition :)

3. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

It was meant to be!

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wow, bet the previous owner is missing a gecko!

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I think the previous owner must not have cared much for his geckos if he didn't notice one was missing! And, how the heck did this little guy survive the transfer? Ah, mother nature at its best... I bet you were led to the golden because you are supposed to have a gecko and when you ignored that "tap on the shoulder" (i.e. transfered the tap to me) you got this shove:p;). It is just meant to be a multi-creature household. I agree with the diet mix -I'm trying the CGD today- smells sweet.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Hahaha, go figure

7. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

What a cutie. he didn't give you the puppy eyes did he? lol

8. I have bought so much **** now for my tanks and all I ever wanted was to get a stray crested or gargoyle in one of the items I bought...... you are lucky lol

9. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Score! These guys are fun, one of the smallest species of diurnal geckos. It seems at times they never stop moving.

10. venus

venus Founding Member

Thats awesome, congrats on the sto-away!

11. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

If he'd just stop giving me a heart attack every morning when I don't see him in the tank!! I think I've spotted his hiding spot though.....

I'd like to get a couple more just for kicks and giggles.... BUT my other (better half) has other ideas.

12. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

What a story, congrats! :)

13. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

UPDATE: Went out and bought some gecko food powder that you mix with water and set out overnight. Well. I tried something a little different. I made up the mix, washed my hands and put some on my finger. Guess what???!!! He licked it right off my finger!! How cool is that?? Really starting to like the little guy.

14. titus

Overnight? These guys are day active if you don't already have one he'll also need a UVB bulb, though not a very high output one.

15. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Out of curiousity what would too much UVB do to him? The only spare bulb I had was a repti-glo 2.0.

16. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

How cool. I wish I was this lucky!

17. titus

A 2.0 should be fine. A 5.0 would work too so long he has areas he can get away from it. Normally you'll see eye problems or constant hiding from animals that are exposed to high levels of UV. Albino animals more than most. Most jungle herps live with what little UVB makes it though the main canopy or less based on what level of the jungle they live in.

18. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

He seems to like his new home. Been feeding small crickets as well as the gecko food mix. As a treat, mashed up fresh fruit. He likes bananas!! It's funny, though, he won't touch it if I just leave it on his log, I have to have some on my finger and he licks it off!! He's become more accustomed to my big face and hands in the tank in the week I've had him. He seems to think every time I appear, it's feeding time of some sort. Acts more like my dogs than a gecko!! :)

19. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Glad you found a new friend, even though its not an amphibian. ;)

20. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

That is really neat! What luck - just be careful about starting the hand feeding part, unless you want to take him with you on every vacation so he will eat...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.