This Disappears When Logged In

Yoshi

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by howard, Dec 28, 2014.

1. howard

howard New Member

this Will be my first time posting on this forum. just wanted to see what you think of my farm bread baby Asian Water Monitor (veranus salvator.) considering I have only had it for just under two months I think this farm baby is doing well. I am surprised that it already doesn't want insects. and will only take meat or whole prey. but hey I am just learning as much about it as it is about me. I love how they are always looking at you and trying to figure out what is going on.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      57.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      63.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views:
  2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you give some details of the enclosure and conditions?
    Mine wouldn`t touch any insect from day one (not for the want of trying). I recommend feeding whole prey only, no lean meats, at least not as a regular part of the diet.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Mine also never touched insects, but he'd take all kinds of whole vertebrate prey as well as shrimp and crayfish.

4. howard

howard New Member

Currently in a 40b on a mix of eco earth, dirt, and reptibark. Basking around 135 to 145. But I do have an enclosure built and stained/painted. Just building up the inside. And considering uv light. I know its not "needed" but it cant hurt. Yoshi gets fish, mice, cut chicken, ground turkey. I try to mix it up as much as possible. And it will eat from my hands and has tong fed since day one.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, the ground turkey really isn`t needed at all, and if the cut chicken is just lean meat that isn`t either. It isn`t about the variety of foods, it`s the nutritional value that matters, so stick with whole prey.
    I had a previous Water monitor that didn`t show any defensive reactions from the first day so you`re off to a nice start!

6. fenrispyre

fenrispyre Active Member

Super cute. Looks just like my little guy. They are very smart reptiles and great pets. Have u thought about the little ones bigger cage yet? They grow really fast for the first two years. Also I agree with what they said above about the lean meats. Whole foods are the way to go if u want a happy and healthy monitor