This Disappears When Logged In

Yoshi

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by dannigd, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Ok, I have had Yoshi for about two months now. I was going to post before but it doesn't look like there is much discussions on iguanas.

She has been very tame since the day I brought her home. I have yet to see her bob her head or raise her dewlap. And I have taught her to give kisses on the nose, plus she is a little spoiled and likes to be hand fed rather than eating out of her dish.

I did notice though that she has two nails missing and a bump on her back leg. It looked like it was swelled then the swelling went down and then a bump appeared. She is still very active running, swimming, and can't forget jumping. She is on her 3rd shed since I got her and she is a healthy weight. Does anyone know what the bump can be on her leg?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

A picture would definitely help us identify it...

3. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Sorry, tried last night to upload and my Photoshop wouldn't work. Here is a picture it is her left leg.

Thanks,
    Danni

Attached Files:

4. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

This picture shows it a little better.

Attached Files:

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The youngsters aren't as prone to head bobbing and dewlap flaring. That comes as they age and get to trying to exert their dominance.
    I would advise that you refrain from letting her kiss your nose. In fact be careful having her around your face at all. Better safe than sorry.
    I would also advise to cut back on the hand feeding. Its ok as a once in a while thing but too often and the ig will decide that it only wants to eat from your hand. They are VERY good at training US to do what THEY want!
    Not a big thing now but he will not stay that size long!

That leg still looks swollen. It would be a good idea to have a vet look at it.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree. The general size of that leg is larger than the other one. This means there is a good possibility of infection, perhaps linked to when he lost the toenails. If not treated, it could spread.

7. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

My son found out the hard way with a little one like that. He was holding him on his chest petting him, Hannibal seemed calm. Next thing I know I hear stupid lizard and Hannibal is hanging off my sons lip!

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

That is definitely more than a 'little bump' I would be very concerned. Swelling of the limbs can be any number of things, I'm sorry we can't help you, you need to get her seen by a qualified vet.

9. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

I made an appt. for this weekend to get her checked out. Around my area we don't have very many vets to choose that deal with exotics. I took my one lizard because she kept her mouth wide open all the time and he just looked at her and said well there's really not much to do. They get infections just like us. She looks great. Well my poor lizard did not make it so I'm not real sure he is a good vet. I'll have to see what he says about Yoshi. I should have went to school to be an exotic vet. There needs to be a lot more doctors in that field.

10. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

What county do you live in? I see you are from PA maybe I can help you locate a better vet.

11. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Mercer County

12. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

I guess I can't really help. I'm way over in York county. Here is a link for a list of herp vets Herp Veterinarians - Pennsylvania
    Seems that GIS domain has expired. :confused:

13. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Hi,
    Herp Vet Connection

There are things you can do when a reptile gets sick. I have no idea why that vet would say that and do nothing. You may have to drive a bit to get a good qualified reptile vet. I have to do the same thing. Mine are in Seattle, I do not live that close to Seattle, but I drive there anyway. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Good luck. You may have to drive into Pittsburgh.

16. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

And trust me, a good herp vet is worth the drive! I drive 4 hours one way for mine.

17. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Thanks everyone.

I called the Rainbow Vet Hospital and talked to the doctor she really sounded like she knew how to take care of exotics. She said it was probably an abscess and that she would have to put her to sleep clean the abscess and put her on meds. So I'm canceling the other appt. and trying this vet out.

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Good luck to both of you! She sounds so sweet that it is really sorry that she might be in pain.[​IMG]

Please keep us updated.

19. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Went to vet today. The doc said that she had broke her leg and because they heal so fast it healed like that. So as long a she is using her leg it will be ok.

20. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Aw, poor little ig...

Be careful with thinking she is super tame after 2 months of having her... I thought my ig was pretty tame at 2 months too and have heard sooo many say that their igs are so tame after having them about that long, then the ig turns "bad" and less tame again.... I think with igs it takes a little while before they get confidence to defy you and you are back to not having a tame ig. I wouldn't let her kiss you... I assume she licks your face, and that is more smelling what is in front of her and not showing affection.

They have super sharp teeth that will leave a neat little perforation of scabs on your nose if you aren't careful.

Kermit will lick my face if I forget him and let him, but with a look of why are you in front of me so close... I don't think he likes it and I move rather quickly away.

I only trust him so much... best not give him my face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.