This Disappears When Logged In

Yogurt for Digestion?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by JoeStyle, Aug 22, 2010.

1. JoeStyle

JoeStyle Member

ok a thought just comes to mind... could you feed your monitor yogurt? lol. just out of curiosity...

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yogurt is a dairy product - Mammals are the only group of animals that can digest dairy - they are the only ones who produce it. Dairy is a no-no for animals other than mammals.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Wow, where exactly did this thought come from?

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Maybe he is thinking of Probiotics to help in digestion???? LOL

5. JoeStyle

JoeStyle Member

haha well i thought of it since i started eating yogurt regularly... what if i just feed the probiotics? btw im just being theoretical i havent feed him yet... not until im sure lol

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Unless your monitor has been sick, he should not need probiotics.

*edit*

More specifically, unless your monitor was sick, and was treated with heavy antibiotics that killed off his natural gut flora, he has not use for probiotics.

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

FYI probiotics does help if you have an animal that has been on antibiotics for a time. There's no need for a healthy animal to eat yogurt. There is a specialized product sold in pet stores to provide the necessary biotics with no dairy ingredients. It's mainly sold for parrots but works equally well for lizards. It's called "BENE-BAC" as in beneficial bacteria.

The tube that I have is labeled "Pet-Ag, Inc."

I'm not a vet, But I'm pretty sure that yogurt would probably cause bloating and diarrhea in a lizard do to the lactic acid content in the yogurt.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would have to agree with Og. Even people would have to eat alot of yogurt for its benefits; I eat yogurt but also have to take powdered probiotics. Best to keep the milk products for yourself and not your reptile. Just my opinion!

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Even though yogurt is good for a person. This whole probiotics thing is just a sales gimmick!

Todays yogurt is the same product that they were selling 30 years ago!

10. JoeStyle

JoeStyle Member

ahh i see. thanks for the input guys! :) at least that puts an end to my curiosity lol

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually probiotics are a good thing to restore balance to the digestive system of a stressed animal and many iguana keepers use it on a routine basis.
    I would see no difference in giving it to monitors.
    But I do agree with the "no yogurt" consensus.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Actually, its not. Stuff like Activia has a much higher ratio of probiotics, as well as different ones, than just your standard yogurt. Ask my mom. She was an avid once-a-day yogurt eater for years, switched to Activia and noticed a difference.