This Disappears When Logged In

Yippee!!!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by hennisntacanibal, Feb 15, 2010.

1. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

And there it is!! The day in and day out, as Audrey stated, for years to come. Besides the money factor this is the second one that people tire of and that is why so many are in rescues today. High maintenance anyway you look at it.

As for the vacation time, I would also agree with this for most, I for one happen to have an excellent care taker when I leave, but that just adds to the dollar signs. But they seem to be far and few between..

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Vacation? What is this word, vacation? ;)
    being in school fulltime, working and taking care of my animals, there's pretty much no chance of me leaving.
    The girl I'm getting the igs from is going to give me a wooden cage with metal screening that's something like 4'L x 5'W x 6'H which will work for one and then we're going to build the other one out of the same stuff. The book I bought has very specific instructions for enclosure size and how to make them and what to put in so I'm really excited to start!
    As for the feeding issue, I have scheduled times for all my reptiles and while I usually leave food in their cages I also make sure once or twice a day (depending on the animal) that they have as much fresh food as they want, and I take them out to feed them. So even though both igs won't be in the same house, even if they were, they wouldn't have to worry about food competition.
    Og, our horses have pecking orders too! When it's dinner time, each horse has his own place in line for coming in to get food. If we feed them outside during the summer, we make sure there is one more pile of hay than there are horses in the pen. And we make sure the piles are far apart! It's too bad I can't have a several acre cage for my iggies and other herps! :)

3. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Yah!! That is my dream also.. Maybe some day!!;):D

4. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

it won't work to take the igs out to feed, they graze kind of, and most wont eat in front of you for a long time let alone get out and sit and eat.

5. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Very true. It took me months to get my hatchling just to hand-feed, let alone adult males who are already set in their ways.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

plus you get an ig that will only eat when hand fed you can't go anywhere. Someone else may not be willing to hand feed, or your ig may not like them and not eat, or possibly tailwhip or bite.

7. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

My guy often lets me know when he's ready to eat or wants some more by licking his "lips" and making wet smacking noises. He'll chow down for maybe ten minutes at the most then goes back to his bed or where ever he was basking in his cage and usually not touch the food again.
    A few months ago, when he was in his funk, he didn't eat at all many days if I wouldn't hand feed him his food though.

8. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

It is heard through the grapevine that some iguanas will get so used to the hand feeding, that is all they will accept and is a very hard habit to break. So one not recommended to even get started, short of the occasional treat outside of the normal feeding area..

9. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I know right now you are a full time student but what are your plans after that? traveling becomes terrible with one let alone 2 .

10. hennisntacanibal

I want to be a vet. Specifically for herps and equines (odd combination I know).

11. hennisntacanibal

Grr! So the rescue, after saying I could have the igs, emailed me and said she was giving them to someone else. Argh. So now I have to wait to get an iguana... :(

12. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Maybe she found someone who had rescued iguanas before? It's ok!! The next chance you get you'll be even more prepared and hopefully won't be offered TWO males, lol! :D

13. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that you lost THIS opportunity, but another will arise. Like purplemuffin said:

:D

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

yea two males are probably more than you would want to handle. It may be a blessing in disguise

15. hennisntacanibal

It's just so frustrating. We had everything planned out and we had bought all the supplies for an enclosure and we were so excited then, whoosh, rug pulled from under our feet. I went to three different pet stores this week because I was so sad. They didn't have any igs to play with, but they did have a ball python, a Chinese water dragon, some leopard geckos and a couple painted turtles. So at least we made friends with all of them. Some day, I will get my iguana!

16. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Hey!! Want to come down to Iowa for a day or two and see what the set ups are and what you would have to deal with on a daily basis and keep for years to come!!??

17. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

After all you have been going through with us and getting stuff for them and researching? You should send them a bill. Some way to run a rescue, and treat potential clients, eh? I would definitely be peeved. Anyway I hope the igs find a good home.

And I hope you eventually get a nice ig for yourself that can "grow up with you" and benefit from your greater knowledge.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In all fairness and not knowing the entire situation let me say this.
    Rescues, good ones anyway, are in the business of placing animals in homes where they will stay forever and be properly cared for. If they upset or disappoint someone its just part of the business. To be quite honest, if I were in their place, I would have serious reservations about placing 2 adult male iguanas with someone who had never even kept one.
    Its quite possible that the rescue did not feel that you, being inexperienced, were the best choice for handling them and went with someone else who already had ig experience.
    Look at it this way. You now know a lot more about them than you did. You have the opportunity to do even more research and be ready when the right time comes for YOU to become an iguana slave!
    And you will then have the knowledge to sweep them off their feet!

19. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Heat lamps-$25.00
    UVB lamp- $50.00
    Enclosure- $100.00
    Food-$$$

An Ig placed with a keeper that knows the stuff -PRICELESS!!!

I hope that you don't mind me saying this, But it sounds like you jumped the gun a little bit. It's important to be prepared.
    If it were me, I would have put aside the necessary money for the animals until I actually had them in my possession.
    But anything that you have already purchased can still be used at a later date.

Disappointment always sucks!