This Disappears When Logged In

Yippee!!!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by hennisntacanibal, Feb 15, 2010.

1. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I just found out I was approved to adopt two male iguanas and I am jumping out of my skin I'm so excited! Here's a little bit about them:

Casey is very sweet and with a little more love will be a great iguana.  Martin is the cranky one. He has been adopted three times and returned three times. The last time they were both adopted and the guy who had them went to jail.

I'm really looking forward to the new additions to my family/petting zoo!
    As this is my first time owning ignoramuses :), I'm going to need a lot of help caring for them as best I can. I will be buying books and reading that caresheet and asking a jillion questions. Hooray!!

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

TWO males? Ugh, I'll NEVER do that again, but to each his own. It was a constant battle even though one lived in the basement and the other upstairs. They knew about each other and were constantly preoccupied. The larger male spent all of his time trying to get to the basement to dominate the smaller male and then smaller guy spent all of his time out defensive and cowering trying to hide from the scent of the other iguana.
    I hope you have at least 2 spare bedrooms on opposite ends of the house for these guys. Good luck from someone who has been there. If I were you I'd DEEPLY consider only taking one iguana until you are familiar with the time and care these guys require.

3. hennisntacanibal

According to the sanctuary, they have to go together because, for some reason, they enjoy each other's company. Maybe one is actually female? I don't know. I was pretty shocked too, when I found out she wanted them to live together.

I know I'd never put two male beardies together.

4. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

I've had two males before, my oldest was more annoyed with the younger and my younger one was obsessed with attacking the older (in his defense it was his first mating season at my house). Who knows though, they may be just fine. Just make sure they have distance and don't let them wander around your home at the same time. Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures of your new bouncing boys ;) .

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like the "sanctuary" knows nothing about iguanas and just wants to get rid of two at once!

I am going to agree here. Unless you are knowldegable with regard to iguanas I would only get one. A single male iguana is going to be a handful. Two will double the trouble! You will likely end up needing two large cages along with all the lights and heating equipment. And when breeding season takes hold having 2 males in the household may make both of them rolling terrors!

6. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Congratulations and Good luck! Sounds like you will need it!

2 males is an awful lot of work.

7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I had what I thought were male and female for a few years, separated, until I put them together hoping that they would fall in love and have babies.

This hopeful and naive little venture ended in the sudden realization that

1) They were both males.

2) They were not in love at all.

3) I had a huge vet bill to pay over a six month period of surgical repair & rehab on one of them (the loser).

Now they "get along" in separate cages forever, and even though they are right next door to each other and are always in sight and smell of each other, they are still, especially in mating season, glaring, puffing up and head-bobbing & rolling at each other. But usually they tolerate each other and have a kind of "over the fence" relationship in which no physical contact is possible unless one happens to stick his tongue out at the other one too close to the fence...and I presume they are smart enough not to try this.

Good luck with your adoptees! They are certainly wonderful and challenging creatures and you will find that they are far from being "ignoramuses", but quite smart, curious and wily.

8. hennisntacanibal

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I'm going to ask the sanctuary gal about housing them together when next she emails me.

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

It sounds like you haven't had iguana's before it sounds like the shelter doesn't know much about them, and i am surprised they would allow someone with no experience to take two.

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

That was my first thought! TWO? lol
    I hope that you are an adult with a big house that owns the property that you live on. The two enclosures will take up about the same size as a horse stall when they are full grown.

I don't believe what the rescue place is telling you. Ig's don't get attached to each other. At least not in a way that they will miss each other stop eating or anything like that.

They may have been brought in together and they thought that they should go out together.
    I doubt the rescue center has much knowledge about herps or they don't care.

11. hennisntacanibal

I think she's mostly into snakes.

12. Moshpitrockchick

Honestly, save yourself the heartbreak of having to return one or choose between them later.
    If you have the space for two 6x6x4 foot enclosures at opposite ends of the house you can go with it, but I think it's a bad idea for your mental health as well as theirs. They are soooo much more challenging than everyone is lead to believe.

13. hennisntacanibal

Okay. I will see if I can talk her into letting me take just one. I live on a horse farm in a sizeable house but as I'm renting a room, mine is the only place I can keep animals.

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

15. hennisntacanibal

While at the store today picking up crix and lights for my beardy, I got myself a book on iggies. It's called "The Iguana Handbook" and I'm hoping it has some good info. Also, my boyfriend and I decided that we would take both igs; one will stay at his place, the other at mine. So, yay!

16. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

Glad you got the book! They need a lot of time and money, so be prepared! Make sure you know what you're getting in to, and good luck!

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

keep in mind that they do live for 20+ years so if you are thinking about moving in together anytime in those 20+ years you will have the same situation. Just something to think about. Good luck!

18. Moshpitrockchick

Okay so now that you've decided the number of igs you're getting tell us a bit about your plans for housing them.

Glad you were able to figure out the situation there, it really is in the best interest of the iguanas that they be kept separate.

19. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Multiple igs in an enclosure will lead to dominance issues. Reptiles are very similar to flocks of birds as they're will be a "Pecking order". The least aggresive or weaker animal will recieve the least food. In nature the weaker ones have a larger area to look around for something to eat, While captive ones in a reletively small enclosure will usually starve than go up against a larger more aggressive animal.
    The whole situation creates an enviroment where only the strong survive.

If you keep them seperate under the same conditions, they will all survive and you can save them from all the stress of them having to face each other in combat! For combat IS what is going to happen if they are left in the same enclosure!

20. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Its hard work having one, believe me I have 3 and well its good that I don't plan on having kids for a long time possibly never. Because I am full right now I hardly have a minute for myself I am not complaining I actually enjoy being that busy it's just not an easy thing to do every day day in and day out.

Also you wont ever be able to leave them in someone else's care (in most situations), so vacations become a distant dream.