This Disappears When Logged In

Yet Another Snake!

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by MadDog, Feb 22, 2010.

1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Well, I had to get some mice about two days ago and went to a locale pet store to get them. When my mom and I walked in we told them what we wanted and then looked around. Well, we came across this ten gallon aquarium that had some garter snakes in it. When I looked at the little cuties I fell in love.lol I told my mom I had to come back and get one, but she got me one instead! I am so tempted to mess with him, so I am writing about him instead.

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Cuuute!! Garters are really adorable, I had no idea they came in so many great morphs too, so neat! The one thing keeping me away from them right now is the slight difficulty in finding feeders for them, especially little ones!

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I know. I'm lucky though because I have several places to get fish, mice, and all that other stuff they eat.

4. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Sweet! that'll probably be my first snake or some other smaller snake. Verycool tho! post a picture

5. purplemuffin

Avoidtheboyd, garters aren't really considered too much of a beginner snake! Small, fast, and hard to handle. If that gets lost in the house good luck finding it! Plus they can be tricky to feed, babies sometimes have to be fed with pieces of fish or mice! Bleh!

6. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Baby garters are actually really easy to feed. They eat a variety of things fresh and frozen. You can get tilapia or salmon from the grocery store and chop it up. They will also eat night crawlers chopped up. Now I say chopped up when they are baby, babies like 4 inches if that. You can also do xs pinky mice or feeder guppies. No rosy red minnows or goldfish they will kill your snake. Also no red wriggler worms or trout worms. So with the variety of different foods you should be able to feed them pretty easy. Good luck with your new little guy and post some pics.
    Gary

7. purplemuffin

That's good to know, I had been told by some other garter keeper that they were fairly difficult compared to their other snakes! Maybe he had some bad experiences? :)

8. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

All of ours are eating machines 3-4 days a week.

9. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Very cool. Mine is big enough to eat pinkies but I don't know if he will.

10. purplemuffin

Milksnakes and kingsnakes are known to be a tiny bit more aggressive/flighty than snakes like the ball python or corn! They are gorgeous though, and of course if tamed can be awesome pets and definitely something on my wishlist! :)

11. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

we had apricot peublans that were escape artists. Make sure they are more than secure.
    Gary

12. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Yeah, I like the milk snakes quit a bit.

13. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Congratulations on the new addition! I look forward to pictures. It still seems funny to me that garter snakes are in the pet trade since they are native to my state and are therefore illegal to have as pets. Kept trying when I was a kid though ;)

14. Ace

Ace Elite Member

We find them everywhere around here, they are very common.

15. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I thought they were illegal here, but then I saw them in the pet store. They might still be, who knows. I would hate that because I really like this little guy.

16. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

That is very interesting. I didn't know garters were illegal anywhere except CA.
    Gary

17. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Congrats on the new snake MadDog! It may be a good idea to check with the Fish/Wildlife service just to check on the legality of keeping your garter snake since there sounds like some confusion. You could call anonymously so you do not incriminate yourself. It would be a shame to get used to having it around only to have to give it up.

18. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I agree David. I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip.

19. chevyzilla

chevyzilla Well-Known Member

The thing about a Garter is it would just as soon bite you as to look at you but are quite dosile after a few minutes of gentle handling as are most non venomous snakes. Here are a few pics of some cute little ones about 4" to 5" long and mom in a dosile state and a not so dosile state. These were some from last year.

Attached Files: