This Disappears When Logged In

YELLOW in His Urate?!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Connrar, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Connrar

Connrar Member

I left my iguana in the care of a friend who was doing fine and I just arrived back (only gone 4 days) and this morning he took a **** and there is a thicker yellow substance in his urate. I'm very worried and so faer what I've been reading online this means his kindeys are failing?! can ANYONE please confirm or deny?

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Do you have a photo of it?

Was there white and brown present as well?

3. Connrar

Connrar Member

no photo, I just got rid of it (I should have taken a photo and I am dumb for that.) but yes there was white and brown as well. he took quite a sizable poop and there was a small amount of white urate but then an obnoxious glob of thicker-yellow.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi it sounds quite normal to me, what have you been feeding?

5. Connrar

Connrar Member

well this is the first time of having him for 2 years. And everything online is pointing to kidney failure and that yellow thick substance are NOT normal but again that's why I'm on this forum so I can get the right answers

6. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'm pretty sure that's normal. Perhaps if your iguana was only producing yellow urates and no feces or whites you might worry then.

Almost all of my reptiles do this, so I've just assumed it's normal.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, none of us are vets, we are repying to whatever you say, I asked the question what have you ben feeding, you haven`t responded, so my reply isn`t necessarily wrong! ;)

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

While it may be normal in your case it's important to note that thick, yellow urates are often signs of parasites and or dehydration.

Source.

9. Connrar

Connrar Member

Yeah, I didn't mean to not answer that haha I thought I did so I apologize for that. but I feed him Mustard Greens, cucumbers, yellow peppers, and apple bits along with banana and strawberry (the fruits he gets fed every other day or so) and if the urate he lets out for the past 2 years like I said has been white and now all of a sudden it's yellow I would say that really doesn't constitute for "normal" so it was in a way kind of wrong! ;) I don't like to just settle with "it might be normal" when his health could possibly be at risk

10. Connrar

Connrar Member

that was the exact page I was looking for and could not find it! I greatly appreciate this! So I guess I'll just keep my eye out. I don't think my friend who was tending to my babe was hydrating him the way he needed so that might have been the problem. But only time will tell so I thank everyone who took notice and attempted to help!! I really love you all for helping.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you are worried at all it`s best to see a vet, and we all love you for asking for help (even if we haven`t offered too much)... (apart from Vers)! ;)

12. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha...you can thank Melissa Kaplan.