This Disappears When Logged In

Yellow Ackie Combat Vid......

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by jaysin, Dec 22, 2011.

1. jaysin

jaysin Elite Member

Just figured I'd post up this video of two young male Yellow Ackies I hatched out late last year going at each other in a full combat ritual display
    [video=youtube;d2Iw_mghCQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Iw_mghCQk&feature=youtube_gdata_pla yer[/video]

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Very interesting! But the background racket was quite distracting! LOL!
    The combat seems to be mostly wrestling. I did not see much attempt at biting. Is this the norm for them? Do they ever do any damage to each other?

3. jaysin

jaysin Elite Member

Bitting woulld be an extreme measure that is used vary rarely by the loser in these battles to get away from a victor who who just wont stop in my experience.
    Normally with Ackies it seems that posturing is more then enough to get a point across most of the time.

4. Merlin

Makes sense! Thanks!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Many species stand upright during these ritual displays, but I think the fact that V. acanthurus have relativly short legs, would make that difficult.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I wish Ackies combated like the Argus do, that's awesome.
    But this is more fighting than I've ever seen mine do. I have always seen fighting where one is clearly dominant over the other.
    You know like the "are my lizards gay" position. ;)
    Nice video, thanks for posting.

7. jaysin

jaysin Elite Member

3days old Yellows "mounting"
    100_1671.jpg

Attached Files:

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

LOL, yea I always found it funny that they thought it was so necessary to "be the boss" right out of the egg.
    I like to keep my hatchlings in simple conditions to make sure they are all eating well, because of that early dominance game.

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's so cool! :)

10. jaysin

jaysin Elite Member

..................... Same here. I had to go through a few clutches and lose 1 or 2 from each before i figured that one out lol Now i do pairs(maybe a trio) per hatchling bin and keep any extremely dominant animal singularly or paired only with another "bully".

100_1793-1.jpg

Attached Files:

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They look great, well done!

12. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Swet! Do they hurt eachother, like anoles? Or is it more of a display than a squabble?

13. jaysin

jaysin Elite Member

Its like a big brother picking on the little brother. That pair were hold backs who eventually grew up together fine and got along great once a bit older(but sure tormented each other when young).
    Its one of the cool parts about monitors, they can learn to get along pretty well :)

14. Komododragon12

Cool. Would you recommend an Ackie as a first time monitor? Asking because I might get one in the future and wanted to know what kind is good for a beginner monitor keeper.

15. jaysin

jaysin Elite Member

Ackies by far are the best captives to learn varanid keeping from.

16. Komododragon12

17. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That was too funny, reminded me of my brother and I when we were kids! I guess all kids have to play and learn:)

18. Merlin

Komodo pick up a copy of the December issue of Reptiles magazine. There is an excellent article in it on ackies, written by our very own Kriminaal!

19. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I really enjoyed the video, I have yet to witness any behavior like this from my rudis other than two separate chases. I am hoping next year sometime when cash is better to install some sort of surveillance for more hidden activities.

20. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

One of the only reasons I know my timors are alive is that I set up one computer down there and turned the webcam on. Lol.