This Disappears When Logged In

Yearling Nile Monitor Never Eats!? Help

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by treehugger9949, Jun 11, 2016.

1. treehugger9949

treehugger9949 New Member

Since I got him a year ago he never hunted , he wouldn't touch anything I gave him , he's been in his new enclosure for 3 months nowit's wood with a plexiglass glass sliding door. It's almost 6 feet long 3 feet high and 2 feet deep. His substrate is woodchips mixed with soil.his tank is decorated like the African Congo so he has hides and the bushes and grass keeps Humid in his ranges. Hes 25 inches long and active after he basks
    He has a flood 100w
    Humidity goes between 50-100
    Has hides
    Has submergeable bowl

How can I get him eating rodents everyothe day like a normal nile his size?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you provide the basking and ambient temperatures? What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temps and humidity in the enclosure?
    I believe your substrate mixture is off but before I address that I'll wait for a more experienced member to comment on it.
    What types of prey are you offering him?

murrindindi likes this.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, a few photos of the whole enclosure will probably help, too.
    At one year old the monitor is quite small which suggests some adjustment in the conditions is needed, one thing may be the type of heat/basking bulb, it would be better to use two relatively low wattage par 30 or par 38 halogens (flood beam), placed a few cm/inches apart so they heat the whole body at least. I`ll put a few pics up later if it would help you.

4. Hey I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to monitors considering I've never owned one although I do know that a lot of reptiles will get stressed out if put into an enclosure that's too big for their comfort. Considering you mentioned you just put him into a larger enclosure I would suggest trying to use a smaller enclosure and see if he starts eating again. Hope lol goes well!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, sorry but that`s complete nonsense, they should NOT be "stressed out" in a relatively large enclosure at all, that`s a myth put about by individuals who don`t want to build an "adult sized" enclosure from the start, in fact repeatedly moving them to different enclosures "as they grow" can be extremely stressful.
    They (varanids in particular) will use every cm of space provided (from hatchlings upwards) if properly supported and given time to fully acclimate to that space.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

This enclosure measured almost 4 x 2 x 2 meters, he lived in it from being a hatchling. If you don`t have much knowledge just yet (as you said yourself), it`s best not to offer advise to other people on their care! ;)

001-2.jpg