This Disappears When Logged In

Year Old Water Dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Ultima78, May 16, 2013.

1. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

There is the link for the vid. Do you think this is a good size for a year old water dragon? About 3.5in svl and 14.75 stl. Water dragon Zeus in vid above.[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kr241b1u7YQ&feature=plcp[/video][HR][/HR][HR][/HR]

2. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Ok the link is not working so here is my Youtube account TheUltima78 and look for Year Old Water Dragon.
    (link removed due to language)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  3. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Could be just my phone but none of the links are working. Can never do mobile upload pics on this site either. Hmmmmm.

4. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

How sure are you about the age? My dragon was that big after only 3 months.

5. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Are you sure Roman because hatchlings start out 5-6 inches and your dragon grew 15 inches over a course of 3 months? I thought they only grew an inch a month.

6. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

I've talked to alot of other water dragon keepers and they said 3.5 in SVL with 15 STL is a year or a little over. Plus I used Tricia's chart. Although he is still shedding. I just wanted your opinions. An inch a month might not be COMPLETLEY accurate as in juveniles some months they encounter growth spurts with two inches one month but it does depend on husbandry also.

7. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

It's very difficult to accurately determine age of water dragons, as the vast majority that are purchased are WC, and neither the pet store nor the supplier have any definite idea of age. It's merely a guess based on what they've seen and/or been told. As well, many factors can affect the rate at which water dragons grow, so two, year-old dragons may be completely different lengths.

Whenever I'm trying to determine a water dragon's age, I basically give them about a 3-6 month window in both directions. As in, you think yours is about a year, but it could be closer to 6 months, or even a year and a half.

Tricia's chart, while great to use as a basic guideline, is still just that - a guideline, based on info she compiled using her and other keeper's dragons. It is by no means exact.

Your best indicator will be when your dragon reaches sexual maturity (between 21"-24" STL). This usually occurs around the 1 1/2 - 2 years mark.

Your dragon looks healthy and alert, regardless of age. This to me is far more important as it means he should grow and thrive according to what's normal for his age.

8. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Here's a picture the day I brought him home from Petco. He wasn't a hatchling, but he was definitely under a foot long. The first measurements I took were about 3 months later (4" SVL, 15" STL, 2oz,/58g).

IMG_1467.jpg

Here's a picture 4 months after I got him next to the same log (5" SVL, 16" STL, 2.7oz/76g).

IMG_1894.jpg

Here's a recent picture after having him 7 months (6.5" SVL, 23.5" STL, 8.3oz/230g).

IMG_2258.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  9. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Wow so your dragon grew into an almost adult size in 7 months? Wow. It definitley looks like you got him when he was a foot long but I got Zeus at 9-10 inches and its been 5 months and he's 15 inches so he hasnt quite hit his growth spurt yet but it'll come. I predict Zeus will be a year and a half by December or going into next year.

10. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Thanks! Im just trying to figure out when to sex Zeus when he is a year and a half so Im trying to figure out his age. Would you agree that he would be year and a half by end of this year(November-December) or beginning of next year(Janurary-Feburary)?

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I don't go off age when determining sex. Once they reach 5in svl a female will be sexually mature and a male should start exhibiting signs. But some males don't exhibit signs until they are 6-7in svl (tai didn't show definitive signs until late about 6.5in svl I think but he was over 2years old)

12. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

13. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

He grew the standard inch a month for a while. Then I started to figure some stuff out. He had a "tropical" type UVB light on a screen. His basking lamp was beside it, so even when he was basking, he wasn't getting good exposure to the light. I added some vines that ran from hot to cold side to within about 6 inches of the UV light. He stopped basking almost entirely and started just moving back and forth on the vines as needed to regulate his temperature. That's when I started seeing a much better appetite and a big gains in weight and length. His last month in the little enclosure he grew 2 inches. The next month in his new enclosure he grew 2 inches. Then last month he grew over 3 inches.

14. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Wow. I'll try that thanks man.