This Disappears When Logged In

X Ray from My Savannah Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by jarich, Dec 7, 2013.

1. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Took my sav to the vet today for a yearly check up. Ill have the blood work back on Monday or Tuesday, but in the meantime I thought you might like to see the X-ray as well.

mail0000.jpg

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Josh,
    nice x-ray, do you know if you have a male or female, and have you got a weight/length measurement (not a guesstimate)!? ;)

3. jarich

jarich Elite Member

It is indeed a female, so naming her Steve Allen doesn't seem to fit as well now ;)

Her weight is 1833 g, but they didn't actually measure the length

4. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Very interesting. Looks exactly how I would expect.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Have you ever noticed a relatively sudden weight gain, I think it`s likely she`s already sexually mature, and having previously thought male is it possible she has been gravid in the past?
    I`ve only ever seen one or two photos, would you put a few recent ones up, and is she 3 years or so old now?
    I`m going to guess she`s around 3 feet ToL (if that`s way out please don`t tell me), and you could always call her Stevie Nicks instead of Allen. ;)

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Haha, will keep that in mind about the name.

Yes, she is around three feet long ToL (maybe just slightly less) and Im sure she is sexually mature at 3 years old. I have not noticed that she has ever been gravid, but then I never thought to dig around in the dirt to find any eggs either. I haven't dug up her burrows in the last year and a half or so though, so its possible that she has some down there I don't know about. I might have to this spring, but Im not sure if I want to **** her off too much more right now. She is already giving me the stink eye lately for taking her to the vet. She was NOT happy about that whole ordeal.

Here is a picture of her yesterday after we got back…
    10F5F7BB-98EC-4847-BB09-0286D515B8C4_zpsnhvsk56x.jpg

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing. I always like to see stuff like this. Especially the "try that again mister!" Pic, lol.

8. jarich

jarich Elite Member

So another confirmation of Steve being a girl has come back from her blood work. It looks like she is going into her egg cycle as her calcium levels are very high. Normal baseline for a savannah is around 14 mg/dl. Her blood came back with a reading of 26 mg/dl, so almost double. I should also state this could only really be due to egg cycling as I do not supplement her with any calcium or Vit D at all and have not for two years. (PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AS AN EXAMPLE, ANY NEW KEEPERS WHO ARE READING THIS. I do not supplement because I have a very thorough understanding of the amount of calcium and phosphorous she consumes and also have high powered UVB lighting in her enclosure.)

Anyway, I have to go and pick up the rest of the details from the vet (who strangely doesnt have a scanner?!) and will post those later today.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for more details and the pic, Josh. In due course can you get some head shots, both profile and from the top, also tailbase in profile? I think it would be very helpful if we had those details and then compared them to a confirmed mature male. Most keepers have no idea of gender (it is very difficult at times to spot subtle differences, no matter how experienced one might be)!

10. Fourtwennay

Fourtwennay Active Member

Shes beautiful! You are very lucky! She looks very well taken care of. I've never owned a sav but always thought they were incredible creatures.

11. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Here is her full blood work:

CBC:
    WBC estimate 6.9 (1000/ul)
    Hematocrit 28 %
    RBC Morphology Normal
    Blood Parasites None
    Toxic Changes None
    Heterophils Absolute - 2829 41%
    Lymphocytes Absolute - 3519 51%
    Eosinophils Absolute - 138 2%
    Monocytes Absolute - 69 1%
    Basophils Absolute - 69 1%
    Thrombocyte Estimate Adequate

Chemistry

Total Protein 6.0 g/dL
    Albumin 2.1 g/dL
    Globulin 3.9 g/dL
    AST 22 U/L
    Urea Nitrogen 1 mg/dL
    Phosphorous 5.1 mg/dL
    Glucose 104 mg/dL
    Calcium 26.5 mg/dL
    Sodium 151 mEq/L
    Potassium 4.0 mEq/L
    Na/K Ratio 38
    Chloride 114 mEq/L
    CPK 5748 U/L
    Uric Acid 10.2 mg/dL

Comments:

Hemolysis +1, Lipemia +1, No significant interference

The one of some concern is the higher level of uric acid. Normal levels are around 7 mg/dL, so its higher than Id like. Given her other levels it doesnt seem likely that it is due to any systemic kidney or liver issues. The vet said that this was likely due to her cycling and that I should bring her back in a month or two to check that it had returned to normal levels. He didnt mention it, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that lipemia can cause elevated readings on uric acid and calcium levels. Obviously the CPK levels are high, but I think that may likely be due to her stress from being at the doctor's office. She was being handled by a bunch of people she didnt know, numerous dogs barking around her, needle prodding, etc. Otherwise, everything seems pretty normal for a lady who is getting ready to produce ;)