This Disappears When Logged In

Wtf Humidity

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by 30mm, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

hey guys i have two wtf's, bambam and big black. if any of you watch rob and big, you know where i'm coming from =]

so far everything is great just i'm have a hard time keeping the humidity up. it stays at about 35% even when i mist 5 times a day and it's a heavy misting. i try to keep the the eco earth moist but the lamp just dries it up and that doesn't even help much. they are in a 29 gallon tank with temps at around the 83 range in the day and about 70 at night.

what have you guys done to keep humidity up? i was thinking about using a humidifier or trying to keep live plants in it. it seems like that's the only way to keep it up.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Here is what i found in the care sheet...

White's require high humidity levels; over 50% is necessary for a healthy frog, and this can be achieved by use of a large water bowl, daily misting with de-chlorinated water, or by adding a decorative product such as a water fall, misting machine or fog machine

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What does your set up look like? Does it have a screen top?

4. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

i have read the same thing and i have the first two. so it seems that option 3 is the last resort.

yes i have a screen top but i have read that wtf's need good ventilation in their habbitat. i dont have any pics of their viv yet but i'll try and get some tonight.

5. schlegelbagel

option 3? Please don't tell me the fog machine. those are terrible and do more for looks than humidity.

Your screen top is your problem. They don't need as much circulation as other herps. Cover half the screen top with plastic, be it plexi glass or a piece of shopping bag. This will keep the humidity in. My 90 gallon enclosure is pretty airtight, but i have lots of plants and open the doors a few times a day for misting, so its fine.

Here is an image of the top of my 90 gallon enclosure. Its actually even MORE air tight now, i was having a problem keeping the heat in with the cold house.
    [​IMG]

6. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Adding the live plants will help as well.

7. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

mkay well i'll try out covering half up and i'm going to try live plants. are live plants hard to care for? and option three would have been to make a humidifier. i found a thing on how to make your own.

8. schlegelbagel

ah, I didn't realize you didn't have live plants. That just might solve all your humidity problems. They are easy to care for. Get a Pothos, almost impossible to kill. Be sure to rinse it out VERY well, get any and all chemicals off. You will find your frogs will LOVE it.

What are the dimensions of your enclosure? We can help you with the best placement of the plant for your frogs.

:)

9. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

so here are some pics of my tank. it's a 29 gallon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here is big black and bambam!

[​IMG]

10. schlegelbagel

you are on the right track, but you need a few things.

They need perches, they are tree frogs. They need branches or something to hang out on, there is a TON of wasted space in that tank.

What is the substrate? I use the coconut bricks, but a lot more than that, about 3-4 inches deep. That will help raise the humidity.

Here is a photo of my old 29 gallon tank. You can see I got a few branchs from outside. Bake whatever you find at 350 degrees for half an hour, to kill off anything on it. They really liked climbing on it. You might want to give them a larger water dish too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

i have only had them for a couple of days and i'm not completly done with the tank. that's all the eco earth that i had but i have another brick to use for them. i'll find some perches for them like you said.

12. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

And a bigger water dish. They like to be able to soak. So you want something deep enough for them to sit in and have it cover most of them but they can still keep their head out of the water. They also like to be able to stretch out in the water so you want something large enough that they can stretch their legs out and kinda float.

13. schlegelbagel

a pie plate works really good for soaking!

14. Matt_2008

Matt_2008 Elite Member

You can also take Damp Rags and lay them over the screen to keep the humidity up.

oh and I love the names. You just need a few more frogs though...
    Meaty, Mini Horse, and Rob! lol

15. schlegelbagel

i just noticed you said you have only had them a couple of days. They need to be left alone for a few weeks so they can get used to their new home. Only handle them if necessary, like if you do bucket feeding. Keep your hands in their "area" as little as possibe. Their new home will stress them out. give them time to settle in, only going into their space to change the water and clean. You will find they have bigger appetites.

16. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I just thought I'd drop in here for a sec. All good suggestions on the humidity so far, but I read that you've only had them a few days. Going back to reference your thread on trying to get them to call...that will have some impact on it. Let them be for a while, and after the habitat's finished and you've let them get used to it for a month then you can try again and they might call for you.

They're probably not going to call in that habitat though. As mentioned, it's too dry, the water dish is too small, and there's not enough decor. Once it's more natural and better resembling something they could potentially breed in, and once they've gotten used to it over a period of time, THEN they might be more inclined to call :)

17. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

for sure, i guess i just got over excited haha. i got paid yesterday so i'll be able to finish up their viv either today or tomorrow. i'll post pictures of it when i finish it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.