This Disappears When Logged In

Wounded Gecko Photo

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by christy76, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christy76

christy76 Member

Here, (I hope) is a picture of Sid attacking me.:) Does anyone know what type of gecko he is from his coloring?

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you get a closer shot? Its not a dune gecko,...too big. And it doesn't appear to have the toes of a fan toed. Could be a house gecko but maybe some of our more gecko oriented folks will be along soon.

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Well it's a large gecko so that brings it down to a few families of gecko. A closer picture would help (even if it's not a full shot). As a question of interest, what color are the eyes? If they happen to be green. G. smithii jumps out at me for this one but it's hard to tell. I'll take a look at my big gecko book and try to narrow it down if I can.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm no gecko expert, but it looks like a tokay to me.

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Well that rules out a leo, lol.

6. christy76

christy76 Member

Closer Shot of Wounded Gecko

Please anyone who can help identify our gecko, we need to know more about him so we can get him medical attn. He is not eating and very weak. He can not even climb the glass anymore. Thank you all very much.

This use to be a very close shot but once I shrink it (thank you Merlin for the know how) it no longer shows much. I'll try again.

Also, his eyes are a gold color with a brown pupil. I guess maybe it could be called a greenish color.

Attached Files:

7. titus

Re: Closer Shot of Wounded Gecko

I think I had a near-miss with G. smithii. from the information that I can find taking out rare to have geckos. It seems to me that you may have Gekko grossmanni or marbled gecko. I've added a link to a picture from the web. http://www.milwaukeereptiles.com/geckolistImages/58.jpg If this is right I would care for it as a Tokay would be cared for.

[​IMG]

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

It's hard to tell from the picture what it is. Does it look like this:
    [​IMG]

If it's sickly and weak I'd get it to a vet asap.

Can you refresh us as to his care again?

9. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Have an unshrunk picture?

10. titus

While I don't think that you have a tokay (Gekko gekko). Based on size, head and finger shape, think you do have a gecko from the family Gekko. Other species aside from Gekko gekko have become much more availible the last 2 years and they normally aren't too much more than tokays in price.

11. christy76

christy76 Member

Titus, that picture you posted earlier is dead on. Sid looks exactly like him.

So now that we know what he is, can anyone help?

I have already been to a herp vet. She gave me antibiotics which seem to help with the swelling but now he won't eat. She thought he may have metabolic bone disease, or possibly a cist. She said it could also be a protozoa.

I have been force feeding him for about a week but this is very difficult.
    At first I was mixing a gel from "crested gecko diet". Now I am using "Zilla jump start" caloric supplement and appetite stimulant. He is not impressed.

I can not get his mouth open so I spread it over his mouth every few hours and hope he licks it off. I still give him the crickets but they die before he eats them. Anyone have any ideas? Scott say he need an i.v., I hope he was joking.

I am having a hard time keeping his tank warm without the heat rock. I am using an UTH but the temp is only 77 and the humidity is about 60. During the day it warms up to about 85. Any suggestions other that a $50-$150 light bulb? I already spent too much on the vet and a bunch of new stuff for his set-up.

12. titus

Good to know that you know what he is now, glad I could help. The Zilla jump start sounds good. G. grossmanni is from the same area of Vietnam as the tokay. So the care should be about the same you don't need a pricy bulb as the geckos are night active and don't need the UVB a normal household bulb will do.

85F is a good day time temp. and 60% humidity is ok as long as it's up at about 70-80 after you mist. The humidity doesn't have to be constantly high. Give him plenty of places to hide off the ground (plant cover) and things to climb. I'm sure with the care your giving he'll be better in no time.

13. Moshpitrockchick

If you NEED to pry his mouth open (which we advise against if possible because it is very stressful) you can slide a credit card in between his jaws and turn it a little to fit the tip of a syringe in.

14. christy76

christy76 Member

Thank you. So to clarify would it be better for me to put the food and medicine on his mouth and hope he licks it off or chance stressing him out several times a day to be certain he is getting it.

Also, does anyone know how long he might hold out on eating. It has been well over a week since he ate a cricket we offered. If I have fixed all his known problems, (temp, humidity, sand, even hid swelling has gone down) and he is still not eating his crickets... is there something else wrong or have I just not waited long enough?

I know this is a topic for another forum, but last night I lost the little squirrel I had been caring for since a neighbor found him on the ground last week. That was difficult enough for myself and my sons (and the squirrel), but if I can't find a way to save my son's little friend I am going to be completely over trying to care for animals. It is too heartbreaking. Sometimes I understand they are sick or injured when I get them but there was nothing wrong with this gecko when we got him. Where can I go for help?

15. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

maybe he doesn't like crickets? try another worm or something that they like? I don't know geckos, but if my iguana is being stubborn i move on to junk food first, with melon and fruit and then sneak in the other stuff that is better but it only takes a time or two to jump start her appetite

so like a wax worm? is that the equivalent of gecko junk food?

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If he refuses to eat I doubt that the medicine is getting in just by being on his mouth. Nomally I would suggest that you stop force feeding but in this case the medicine has to be delivered. Force feeding is VERY stressfull to an animal.
    How big are the crickets you are attempting to feed? They should be about the size of the distance between the lizard's eyes.

17. christy76

christy76 Member

Thanks for answering again. I know in this day and age everyone is so busy. I am trying much smaller crickets now. For the first three months he ate two large crickets every night, sometimes three.
    As a question of interest, he is shedding I noticed today, is that a good sign at all? I mean, would he only be shedding if he was growing?
    Also, I appreciate the comment Kendalle made about junk food. Personally, I would sooner starve than eat a cricket. Sid wont eat those little meal worms, anyone have any suggestions of what a treat would be for them? Maybe he likes the attention of being hand fed:). I will go get him some prime rib if he will eat the darn stuff.
    I just put one little meal worm in his cave with him, and when I went back to check he had gone through all the effort of moving it out, without eating any of it. What an attitude! This must be why I like him. We have similar personalities. So, I gave him a piece of a fresh black cherry. Next on to cheese puffs. If he wont eat normal stuff I will try everything obscure. Joking, I have no cheese puffs. But maybe he is a closet vegetarian.:) That was offensive to someone wasn't it? Sorry. I'll shut up now.

18. christy76

christy76 Member

One more question...If our gecko has a little calcium problem, and he is shedding, and going to eat the skin, can I dust him with calcium and vitamin powder? That is just a weird thought isn't it!

19. Moshpitrockchick

Make sure you keep up the humidity so that his shed goes smoothly, you can even mist the tank a little extra to help him along.

As for putting a little calcium on his skin I can't really see why not...just remember a little bit goes a long ways. If you are going to do it I would keep the powder away from his head just so the dust doesn't get into his nose and gum him up.

20. drag737

drag737 Member

I know its been a few days since the last post but i learned that rubbing the food around their neck/head and chin area generally gets lizards annoyed so they open their mouths. I had a very mean and picky iguana a few years ago and when i tried to switch him from zuchini to apple and squash he went on a hungar strike so i did that to feed him before finally just going back to the zuchini because he was a major pain in the rear. But you should try it and see if it will work because its better than force feeding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.