This Disappears When Logged In

Would you buy these?

Discussion in 'General' started by Moshpitrockchick, Aug 24, 2007.

?

Would you buy these backgrounds?

1. YES I have

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. YES I would

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. NO They are too expensive

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  4. NO For other reasons (please state)

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm working on setting up something where I could sell my own photos as cage and enclosure backgrounds and I was wondering if anyone HAS bought from cages by design or if anybody WOULD buy from them.

Do you think the prices are fair?
    If not how much would you pay for a quality laminated background?

Cages by Design - Cages & Accessories for Reptiles, Birds, Small Animals

2. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I've heard too many bad reviews on the cages to spend money on one of their backgrounds. But this thread reminds me of another.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm a firm believer that anything they have is ex[pensive. But obviously there is a market for it.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

At the prices they have, I wouldn't buy them. Those prices are just too high.

5. venus

venus Founding Member

Agreed!!

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

To much for my broke self.

7. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

They are pretty... but way too expensive. Up to $500 for a background? Nope. You can buy large stock photographs for WAY cheaper, and cut them to size, and they're usually every bit as good. I like the "we'll use one of yours for $50 extra" too. If you have your own photo, take it to a printer and have it printed for you. It'll cost a lot less.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Those background prices are almost 4 times the price I paid for the tanks to begin with,,,,,,,,rediculous. I make my own backgrounds (My son Tyler and I make a collage out of pics from reptile magazine) It's fun for us,,,,,,unique,,,,and I think looks better than those shown.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Of course with the cost of their cages,...
    If you can afford them then you can probably afford the high dollar backgrounds!

10. a_god_s

a_god_s Member

I like to glue together puzzles and then cut them to fit. That way I can change it around: any season, holiday, whatever appeals to me. You really can't tell most are puzzles.

11. Moshpitrockchick

Thanks so much for all of your responses, I was amazed at how much they charged for background myself and was wondering if people actually paid for them.
    Sure if I was going to drop $5k on an enclosure what's about $500 for a pretty picture? But really for that kind of money I could go to Utah myself snap a picture of some desert and get it printed!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes and you would STILL have enough money left over to have the local cabinet maker make you one to go with the picture!

13. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Now if someone were to create these backgrounds at affordable rates, I would love to add some. The amount of money though that CBD charges is insane though.

14. Mark

Mark Elite Member

What type of process would be used to make them water proof / clean able. I know around here misting the cage often will lead to Ca scale build up and any surface will have to be cleaned with something like vinegar on occasion. Not to mention igs and snalt

15. Moshpitrockchick

I haven't found a local laminater who can do anything larger than 36 inches wide yet, so it means i may have to look online or send extra large backgrounds in two peices, which most people would probably not like, but i'm still in the research stages, as far as printing costs go prices are way up there for the enlargements, i'm looking at my options though.

I'd probably start off small with the normal sized aquarium backgrounds, 5,10,20,29,40,55,100 gallon tanks and such and do anything larger on a per-person basis because i'll have to go through special channels to get those larger, plus not all of my images are high enough resolution to do a huge tank...

What sorts of things would you guys like to see as backgrounds?

16. Knox

Knox Elite Member

For a tank, just tape it to the outside and it is good for years and years.

I like just plain black posterboard on the back of my tanks. And it only costs 35 cents.

17. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Ken,

Could you post a pic of one of those backgrounds? I'm curious how it looks, and might want to make one with my daughter. She loves projects like that.

Jen

18. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Lacey,

I would love to have a background of the Aurora Borealis, esp. since the geckos like nighttime. I guess an ocean scene would be nice - for my hermit crabs :)D ). A night desert sky would be neat, too.

As to the CBD ones, I think their pictures are gorgeous. I don't have that kind of money either, but I guess if I did I might buy one. I don't understand their exorbitant prices either.

Jen

19. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Mark,

Just out of curiosity, what bad things have you heard?

Jen

20. Moshpitrockchick

The aurora is beautiful, I use it as my screen saver...now if only I lived more north so I could see more than a faint glow...

Here are some of my pics that I thought people might like as backgrounds:
    Flickr: Search

And just my pictures: Flickr: Photos from Moshpitrockchick (shameless self promotion never hurt anyone)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.