This Disappears When Logged In

Would You Buy Driftwood Online

Discussion in 'General' started by reptibeginer, Jan 22, 2008.

?

would you buy drift wood online

Poll closed Feb 16, 2008.
  1. yes

9.1%
  2. no i can get my own

31.8%
  3. yes but it would have to be reall cool looking

22.7%
  4. only if the price was good

4.5%
  5. no it might not be treated properly

4.5%
  6. no

31.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reptibeginer

reptibeginer Member

I live next to a river and I find drift wood all the time and I was wondering if I could sell it. I use it in my enclosures. I want to know if people would buy it if the price was reasonable.

2. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Re: would you buy drift wood online

In my opinion only if it was incredibly low priced, I don't think you'd be able to make much money off of it though. Shipping becomes a problem, Driftwood is usualy somewhat expensive to ship, due to the size, and weight, and i think the pieces people would be most willing to buy, instead of finding themselves, would be the larger very elaborate pieces. you might be able to make a litle bit of extra change of it, but im not sure if it would be worth the time invested, look on the bright side though, You have a great supply of availible driftwood for your tanks.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i have bought small pieces online. I have no idea what I paid. There are places that do sell it.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I have seen it for sale online, the price with the shipping charges was alot more than what I can get at my local petstore (which I wouldn't buy anyway !!!!) I live less than a mile from the beach so I just collect my own.

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I live on an island,, so I would not buy it online, lol I have huge pieces in my cages,, more like trees, lol, so it would cost a ton to ship.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not to rain on your idea, but you have several difficulties to overcome.

The only way that what you are looking at is feasble is if you have access to really exotic and bizarre specimens of wood. Normal looking everyday peices of wood are available for the picking up by anyone who lives near any bodies of water.
    Then you have the problem of setting up a website and marketing it, taking pictures of the peices and being able to revamp the pictures as they sell.
    And its going to be expensive to ship out. Shipping costs are high for heavy items.
    Additionally since you are supplying a product that will be used for living animals you are going to have to be able to guarantee that the wood has never come into contact with anything toxic that might be harmful to the animals and you will have to clean and disinfect eveything you send out. If you make an error and sell something toxic and someone's animals die as a result YOU are going to be liable for the cost as well as posssible punitive damages for negligence.
    In reality it wil be much more work than just going out picking up a peice of wood and putting it in a box.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I have yet to see any driftwood online, at a store or show that I thought was a reasonable price. I have only ever bought one piece because it was exactly what i was looking for for size and hiding areas (stump). I would have to acho what everyone else has said about the high shipping costs. I wouldn't even consider it online because of that.

8. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I wouldn't personally. Mostly because I know if I want it there are probably a dozen people around that have driftwood that they got for their own reptile and don't need anymore. I can usually get that for free. (I got a HUGE piece not too long ago, in fact, that I still haven't quite used.)

I sterilize everything I get myself in those instances - but if I was to buy it somewhere, I don't think I would, so you would definitely have to make sure that every piece is well sterilized.

Also, if I was really desperate to buy some, it's easier to go to a local pet store and not have to pay shipping.

9. big fred

big fred Elite Member

you could however talk to local taxidermists. i know they use it for fish mounts and such. or landscape centers or florist shops. again local because of shipping.

10. Mr. Quick

Mr. Quick New Member

You could maybe try to sell it to a pet store...

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Give it up!;) Down here we have some fantastic looking pieces made from old growth grapevine stalk.

12. bb.burdie

bb.burdie Member

I would not, simply because I wouldn't spend good money on something I can make for free at home. I find a piece of branch in the woods and bring it home and bake it in the oven on about 325 for a good long while to kill off any bacteria that might be living on it then it is good to be used for my pets. Easy, cheap.
    Debbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.