This Disappears When Logged In

Would You Buy a HC Calendar

Discussion in 'General' started by Moshpitrockchick, Feb 19, 2008.

?

Would you buy a calendar to support HC?

1. Yes, I would like one

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Yes, I would like more than one

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. No thanks

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Re: Would You Buy a HC Calendar?

hehehe i am back from the dark wilds lol.... for now that is! haha i got back last night... of course i can give some pics :)

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Just wondering what the status of this is?

Rich my Brother In Law says his company has gotten some new (different) presses so they would be able to give us a pretty good price now...

3. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

I was poking around the site last night and there were some pretty good pictures that people had posted. Some were just scenery. I was thinking of some really nice ice and sunset shots I saw that would be good for the certain months. The quality of the picture should be most important and I would think we would want to attract a larger audience than just members; although we would want as many great herp pictures as we could get (probably without people in them). If we have permission from the people who submit and the quality is good, that should take care 12 pictures. I would suggest at least the hercenter.com logo somewhere on each page. But, what if we contacted a national chain, i.e. Petco, (just an example-Petco haters don't yell at me) to provide some sponsorship buy selling them space for monthly coupons? Not just coupons for herps, but all pets, which would probably be more appealing to any pet chain. Just a thought. I would start that process if we can get more organized.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We have a few great photographers floating around HC. Lacey and Devon are the first 2 that pop into my mind.

If we do the cafepress method, to begin with, we can use the funds generated from those sales to go in and have an independant company print the calendars for us directly, cutting out the middleman.

5. leahbrd

leahbrd Elite Member

I would absolutely buy one, and if they were specific to animal, I'd buy one for every type of animal I have - Beardie, Python, Frog, Uro etc. I currently have a Boxer and Boston Terrier calendar hanging in my cube, and lots of my animal's pics.

I love the idea of the feeder calendar!! I made my own calendar with pics of our animals and list feedings, sheddings, poops (if they are unusual). I LOVE this idea!!

PS - I'm all for the mousepads too!

6. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

I don't know. That's a broad range of different products and this seems to be a test program. The more specific the calendar, the more limited your sales would be and we would want "the biggest bang for our buck". Gosh, I hate it when I get into corporate mode. I am a bit hesitant on the feeder claendar. I don't know how many people in the general population would want a calendar of rats, crickets, roaches, rabbits (especially when they are dinner). I would want to generate as much revenue as possible to go back into supporting the site. Rich, what's the cafepress? I'm unfamiliar with that.

7. fire2225ems

I don't think this would be a calendar with pictures of feeders but rather a calendar with space to be able to note when you have fed your critters...

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! No we aren't planning any calenders with centerfolds of mealworms, roaches and crickets!;)

9. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

OK, well you all should expect these blonde moments from me from time to time. Geez Merlin and Shell, it's not the first time you've had to shake your head at one of my posts! :) Now that I get it, (Thanks for explaining it) I agree with the idea! Hey, I wouldn't be me if I didn't jump to some novice conclusion or ask a beginner question. :) I got to "feeder calendar" and then started thinking unsupervised. Sorry leahbrd!!!!!

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cafepress allows you to create a few products based off your own designs and sell them. They take their overhead off the top, so you don't have to put money in up front. Once you start turning a profit, you can actually purchase your own product in bulk, at a 15% discount I believe, and ship it from your own facility. in turn, you get to yeild more of the profits of course, or you can lower the cost to the consumer which could result in more sales.

I had to take care of an issue we had with our logo before i could follow through with this idea. Now that it has been rectified, I can try to focus some time on this following my return from camping this Sunday.

11. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Ok, well we have almost a 73% "yes" on buying one. Granted, we don't have a lot of voters. Do we bite the bullet or not? Hmmm, interesting question. I'm sure Carefree Press has a minimum order. I think that would be the one of the first issues at hand. Then, who decides the pictures? I happily un-nominate myself. Please see my prior faux paux. :) It's a double (triple) edged sword. If we had the donations, maybe we wouldn't have to stress the printing costs, and if we have to have enough orders to cover the printing cost (which is probably more than 72.41% of 29 voters) we'd be fine, but we want to exceed any of those goals to be able to cover the cost of the printing and meet the site needs. Ahhhh, it's days like this that make me happy to be the junior member!!! :)

12. fire2225ems

Junior Member? Didn't you notice? You're a Subscribed User now!!! :)

13. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Only by default, thanks, though! It really doesn't cost that much to run the site (I suspect in the long and short of things) if one person doesn't have to cover it. We have to be able to come up with a product to cover the site costs and material and shipping costs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.