This Disappears When Logged In

Would You Buy a HC Calendar

Discussion in 'General' started by Moshpitrockchick, Feb 19, 2008.

?

Would you buy a calendar to support HC?

1. Yes, I would like one

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Yes, I would like more than one

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. No thanks

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

There have been talks of putting together a couple of styles of calendar for 2009 to help support HC.

Calendar idea #2 would be a field herping calendar that was less suggestive and more safe for your desk at work.

This is just in the idea stages but I would love to know who would be interested and what you would be interested in.

The majority of the proceeds would go right back into the costs of running HC.

Give me some feedback!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: Would You Buy a HC Calendar?

I would buy one, but i think it would be cool to do "pets and owners" in funny ways.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I think it would largely depend on the price. If we could keep the cost reasonable I think it would sell.
    I think the herps and nature idea would be the better choice. Or even members of the forum with their herps.

4. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Sure I'd buy one. Work safe is good. :)

I like Liz's suggestion, though. If it's a herpcenter calendar, it would be neat to use photos of the pets we actually have, or reptiles we've photographed in the wild. Of course, that would require getting photos at a size and quality you can actually use them, which is not as easy.

Do you need other ideas for HC merchandise? Because I know quite a few printers that produce all kind of neat little sellable things, from mini-books to bottle openers. It would be fun to come up with things specific to the reptile community.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

what about cafepress.com? I have no idea if whatever sells on there with HC related stuff, gets you a kick back. But it would be cool to have a shirt with the logo and maybe a neat phrase with the website.

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

i think we need to market it to more than just herpecenter members...if it is to raise funds for the site. i know of a few retailers that would be stoked to stock it! don't think people would buy a calender of members and their herps... the calander would have to be of professional quality.

7. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Definitely a concideration. You're right about the photos, too. They'd definitely have to be more professional, and perhaps more creative to make them stand out from the crowd.

I think it would be neat to stick to species commonly kept captive, though, and maybe add a little information about them. Like a photo of a red eared sliders in a great set-up, and maybe a blurb about how large they get and how much room they require as adults. That way we can also direct people back to herpcenter for more information.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds interesting to me. As long as shipping isn't too much. I'd buy one.
    I like the idea of having a pic with a few short facts like country of origin and life expectancy or something. I know the photos will be top notch if Lacey is taking them.;)

9. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I would love a calendar with Forum members and their herps....We collect calendars here...we would definitely buy one!!!!

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I would but one as long as they were not a hundred buck or something, lol.
    I do like the idea of having the animals be some commonly kept ones. Typhanies idea of the RES was a good one

11. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

So how about this, what is more interesting to you guys, Wild herps in their native habitat. (Most of these pics would be supplied by Devon who's photos are top notch as well as supplements with my own field herping photos) or would commonly kept species be more attractive?

We've had several ideas, Rich suggested we put a box with general info about the pictured species, Devon suggested selling ad space on the calendars in order to cut the production costs so everyone can afford to buy one. Any other ideas are strongly encouraged!

12. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I like both ideas, but I think that more common herps or the best photos from the members would do best. people tend to go with whats familer to them if it has a picture that looks like fluffy at home, the'll most likely end up getting it.

13. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I say we cover all the bases as we have discussed. I am willing to look into the costs of having them printed professionally. I would never use a site like cafepress if we ran with this. They have massive overhead fees and the quality isn't the best.

I can get a printer to handle the calendars. I know people.

Here were some of my ideas:

Caresheet Calendars:

I love this idea and have tossed it around for a long time in my head. This could be done via species, and each page would contain a different image of the species with some facts associated with them. The last page of the calendar would include basic husbandry requirements, and links to online resources...specifically HC and some of our affiliate sites.

Species Calendars:

This is straight forward. One defined species that simply contains a few shots per each page listed. If the topic were leopard geckos, then each page should display varying morphs.

Feeder Calendars:

An issue a lot of people have is recalling when they last fed their snake, medicated, etc. We follow the same outline as the species calendars, but add a location on the page where users can enter vital info like Weight, Length, Fed, etc.

Field Herping:

Wild shots, when done professionally, are beautiful. Since the point of the calendar is to be attractive, this would be a route worth taking.

Member Calendars:

I am not a fan of this idea AT ALL. Who, other than those listed in the calendar, would be interested in seeing either users or their herps. The scope of sale would be minimal on something like this. (Yes, I have to think of the sale scope if I am fronting money to get these published.)

Payment:

Ideally, we would try to keep costs to a minimum. I would like to be able to split the finances into different sections. A portion goes back into getting more calendars printed, a portion goes to the photographers for their work, and a portion goes into HC to make us 100% self sufficient.

I have more ideas, but those should hold you. lmao

Typhanie, do they print t-shirts? I have a family friend that does, but I would like some overhead ideas for cost comparison. Also, what other "popular" merchandise do they manufacture?

14. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I am in love with the feeder calender idea,, I definately could use one or ten of those, lol, this whole notebook thing is getting old, lol

As far as other peoples reptiles in the calendar, I myself could care less if it belonged to someone on here or someone else, lol.

Caresheet calendars are an awesome idea,, I like the fact that they would be species normally kept. Green iguanas, bearded dragon , res., treefrogs, pythons, boas, etc.
    A calendar with a bunch of animals not normally kept like the black mamba, cobra, is okay, but the caresheet one is awesome.
    well thats just my opinion.

How about desk calendars?

15. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Rich, name it and I can probably get it for you - and at a good price depending on how many you'll be printing at the time. T-shirts I can definitely get from several different companies.

The question is not so much what's available as what your potential customers might be interested in. Common items that sell really well for just about anything include keychains, mugs (especially travel mugs), stickers, mouse pads and apparel. I think the really great stuff is the more specific and interesting - hobby specific clocks are really popular. Nice quality pens. Wine glass hangers. Binoculars. Decks of cards. Spray bottles might be a herp specific thing that would sell well.

:) Sorry. I can go on about this stuff, huh? Sometimes I'm surprised at the sheer amount of stuff that's available.

16. rick1iam

rick1iam Subscribed User Premium Member

Even though I'm flooded w/free calendars from vendors I would buy 1 maybe 2 depending on size more than content. Calenders should be functional as well as decorative. One thought is the little squares with the day of the month in them. They usually have notes of holidays but having room to write in info specific to your pet would be good as well as care sheets and /or specific info on certain herps would be good.

You might even be able to sell space on it to cover some cost.

17. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I definately would buy a calendar.
    The idea of a place to right down when you fed last, weight ect is really cool I would be interested in that!
    Also a tshirt with the logo or something that would be great.
    I like the idea of common kept reptiles and a little backgraound of the care.
    I also like the idea of members and their pets but it probably wouldnt sell other than to other members lol

18. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

one more thing...how would you pick only 12 members for a year calendar?? W/O hurting feelings ect....

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This would be no different than the photo contests we have held in the past.
    Some pictures are exceptional and win,... some don't.
    Its just the way things work.

20. vegasandbecca

vegasandbecca Elite Member

I love collecting calendars and have about 5 in my office right now; I think a herpcenter calendar would be a great addition. Like many others the price would need to be as appealing as the product to do well.

I like the field herping idea the most simply because I think it would appeal to a wider group of people. I also like the caresheet idea as I think it promotes herpcenter and the overall goal of the communty here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.