This Disappears When Logged In

Would This Work for a Savannah Monitor Enclosure

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Jwalled, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Jwalled

Jwalled Member

The enclosure would be 8x4x4 with 2 feet of substrate. Since im not a builder I want to do a door on the front instead of sliding glass. Then on the top of the enclosure I would cut a big square and cover that with some mesh wire so the savannah can get some airflow. Would this work for a savannah enclosure?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes except the airflow part. They wont need that much and if you insist on vents it would be better to do small ones set just above the soil line that way you dont lose much heat or humidity.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Size yes, substrate yes, mesh NO. Just putting this in to reinforce what was said above.

4. Jwalled

Jwalled Member

How many vents would I need to put at each end of the enclosure? Would it be possible to just drill a line of holes on each side of the enclosure instead of buying vents?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, yes you can drill a few small holes (around 3/8th inch diameter), but they must be just above the substrate level and it might be an idea to cover them with screen on the outside if you plan on feeding insects, which I suspect you definitely are.

6. Jwalled

Jwalled Member

Could somebody please link me what floodlights I should use to heat the enclosure and what fixtures I should use to hold the lights? If you could please use home depot as thats where ill be getting everything.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you need the halogen bulbs (flood, not spot) try 50 or 60w (possibly two placed quite close together) and you must use a ceramic bulb fixture.
    I use the "Sylvania" brand which I think are available in America, but there are many others. I need to use more because of the monitor`s size.
    http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy350/murrindindi/8322444543_e8b89cdbc21_zpse55a550c.jpg

8. Jwalled

Jwalled Member

Do you think this is going enough to build the savannah enclosure? I'd also be adding handles, locks, and vents to the enclosure. SAVANNAH ENCLOSURE.png

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Don't forget the wood need to frame the cage. You will need a lot of framing and bracing so that the walls don't warp over time. 2x4 or 1x3 posts will work.

10. Jwalled

Jwalled Member

Where do I put the posts? Haha Im not a builder or have I ever built anything like this so its a tad confusing to me. Would I put say a 4ft high post in every corner of the bottom piece of 8x4?

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The basic idea is to build an outline of the box then put bracing in each wall evenly spaced so they look kinda like a ladder...
    This isn't for a sav but here is the thread I did on building Tai's cage: http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/44252-chinese-water-dragon-corner-vive.html
    It may help you with some ideas. And hopefully murrindindi or another sav owner can post links to their building threads since those would be more helpful to you. In the meantime I will search for them as well.

12. Jwalled

Jwalled Member

Alright thanks.

13. Jwalled

Jwalled Member

I added some wood for the frame. Would this be all I need? SAVANNAH ENCLOSURE.png

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You will want a couple bags of playsand to mix in with the top soil. This will give your substrate the consistency needed to maintain burrows.

15. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

And to throw it in there, are you putting this enclosure on a ground level floor? This this enclosure is going to be pretty heavy and over time can come crashing through a floor if not supported properly. If not being placed on a ground level floor I would suggest to get the floor supported with either floor jacks or get some thick lumber like 4x4s and brace the floor where the enclosure will be placed but I would also suggest placing in by a low barring wall.

16. IAmXavierPee

IAmXavierPee Well-Known Member

I believe so because think you will need 2 foot high columns but who uses columns? Yes the framing will be four feet from the bottom to the very top. I'm 16 I and new to owning a sav but I do a lot of research and I have supplies because the place I work at has a bunch of 2x4 laying around they never use and I can build my cage whenever but I wanna wait a few weeks to get a few hundred bucks to make sure I have everything I need before I start a project to not finish in the time frame I want. I'm good at building I started working when I was 13 and now I'm 16 and I know a lot of things surprinsung for a kid to know right? But yeah just build the frame with let's say a 2x4 post every foot of the cage and for with probably 2-3 of them would be fine