This Disappears When Logged In

Would This Work for a Savannah Monitor Cage?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by casey15, Oct 2, 2012.

1. casey15

casey15 Elite Member

I found someone selling an 8 foot tall, 8 foot wide, 8 foot long reptile cage for dirt cheap! The cage is plexiglass with wood trim, no screen at all. Would this work for a cage since it doesn't have a screen top or would it still let out to much heat/humidity? I could cover sides to make it feel more secure.

Let me know if this would work or not, it's close to my house and less than $40, the guy really wants it out of the garage.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Something like you are describing for 40 dollars just doesnt sound right. Have you seen photos of it?

3. casey15

casey15 Elite Member

Not yet, I'm waiting for the person to send me some pictures, should have the pictures by friday. If it turns out to be like how he told me it was would it work for a cage?

4. Merlin

It would depend on how it was constructed. To be honest a cage that size as described would have to be a monster and quite heavy. I can't see anyone selling such a thing for 40 dollars.
    I smell a rat.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So it is an 8' cube? Either the price is wrong or his dimensions are... Something of that size is the equivalent of a small bedroom...so yes it would work and buy it if you can but it just seems fishy. And if the dimensions are correct do you have room for it?

6. Merlin

Not to mention that you would have to tear it apart to get it in the house.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Casey, what are you going to put in it?

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ummmmm....a savannah monitor? Just throwing that out there. :p

9. casey15

casey15 Elite Member

It seemed odd its so cheap to but its close by, I could always go over and look at it. We have room, and my moms boyfriend was a carpenter he can help take cage apart to transport it then put it back up. It sounds fishy but I'm hoping it's real.

10. casey15

casey15 Elite Member

Hopefully sirocco and even more dirt/sand. Already carried 500 pounds (not all at once) worth of the stuff up and down stairs to put it in the cage. I'm going to be the hulk by the end of this.

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That sounds like it wouldn't stand up to a monitor. I could see it constructed from melamine. Also you'll need to consider whether or not it can stand up to 3,000 pounds. Perhaps it's better to just build one yourself. :)

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The 8ft height could be a problem unless you have high ceilings.
    Usually 8ft high ceilings is before drywall which brings them just under.
    Interesting to see what that thing looks like and what he had in it.

13. alpine

alpine Elite Member

If it is legit it has probably seen better days... much better...

14. casey15

casey15 Elite Member

Got it. I won't get my hopes up.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

But if the plexiglass is in ok shape and big enough peices it would be worth buying if only to reuse the plexiglass in a cage you build.

16. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Plexiglass will be scratched beyond recognition in no time with a monitor. :)

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

But still worth it. A guard can be put around the bottom. Or it can be reused for another animal.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I too doubt the measurements are correct (perhaps it`s 8L x 4W x 4H)? Anyway, plexiglass and monitors don`t go together well at all, and I also doubt it will be strong enough to hold up to 2 feet of substrate without falling apart.
    I hope you don`t turn green when you`re angry, Casey?? :eek:

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Wasn't there a female hulk? Or a purple one?

20. Merlin

That was Smurfette!;)