This Disappears When Logged In

Worried!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by omercer, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omercer

omercer Member

ok my corn snake was showing signs of shedding, so I didn't touch him for a few days.
    Was that the right thing to do?
    Because after a few days I checked up on him, just to see him he was alright and his tail was rattling and he tried snapping at me, then I tried to feed him and he didn't eat.
    Is this normal? Do you think I was interrupting his shedding process? Should I just leave him alone for a few days?

Also I was wondering, do snakes shed on top of their bedding or under? or both?

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

First of all welcome to Herp Center. Yes it is normal for your cornsnake to not eat if it is going to shed. They do tend to get defensive if they are going to shed since they can't see as well as they normally do. Don't worry about interrupting the shed process, they will go back to it. Shedding is a potentially stressful time for snakes. The skin turns dull and cloudy- this is a build up of fluid between the new and old skin and the snakes are very sensitive to touch, so they may tail rattle and snap at you. The best thing you can do if you notice your snake getting ready to start the shedding process is to leave it alone. You can tell this is beginning when the snake's eyes start to cloud over and the skin turns dull. After about 5-7 days the eyes will clear up and about 3 days after that the snake should shed it's skin. The best thing you can do for your snake (besides leaving it alone) is to provide it with proper humidity so it can shed properly. If your snake sheds in one piece then the humidity should be fine, if not, bump up it's humidity. We have a fine care sheet for corn snakes on here, you may want to check it out.

3. omercer

omercer Member

thank you sooooo much
    i just got him and he already means a lot to me....so thanks again

4. David McConley

Glad to help. Post some photos, so we can see your new little one.

5. omercer

omercer Member

ok...but I don't have many...he's still hiding

6. David McConley

Don't worry, there will be plenty of time after he sheds.

7. omercer

omercer Member

I have one more question?
    Do you think he'll shed like under his bedding or on top where I can see it?

8. swavet22

swavet22 Member

There Is no rule of thumb for the shedding habit. Some of mine shed on top and a couple shed through the bedding. All the tanks are set up the same. So it depends on the personality :)

9. omercer

omercer Member

ok heres a update on my problem...
    um well I left him(my snake) be for like 6 days now making sure the humidity was good...and ive found his sheddings but he still wont let me touch him....like his talll still rattles and he rears back

is this normal? should I just leave him for a few more days?

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am glad that he shed and all is ok. ;) How long ago did you find the shedding?

He is still new and therefore both of you need to get used to one another. Currently he thinks you are a thread and that you want to harm him, some snakes do learn to be comfortable around people and be handled and others never do.

Exactly how long have you had him now?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree , it`s a stressful time anyway, (shedding), and as Linky said, he still needs to get used to YOU, and learn that you aren`t a threat... this just takes time and patience, as with all animals...
    Good luck!

12. omercer

omercer Member

about three days ago
    so is there a way to making him think I'm not a threat?
    about two weeks ago.......I was holding him a lot when I frist go him....like a hour or two a day...but then he shed so I stop

13. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

When we get our new snakes. we let them get used to the enclosure for about a week, 10 days tops. then, we start to pet them a little bit everyday, and after sometime, we begin to pick them up.

once you start holding the snake, keep handling to a minimum. we do 10 minutes and gradually raise the time from 10, 15, 20, and to 30 minutes. this may take a few weeks but I'm guessing that he's small and anything bigger than him could pose a threat.

leave him alone for a little while, and when you do handle him, try to keep it to an hour a day, maybe breaking that time into 2 sessions a day.

remember to give them time to rest after they eat, about 2 - 3 days.

oh and welcome to HC! and I'm glad that he shed ok :)

14. omercer

omercer Member

I'M sooo excited!!! he let me hold him!!!!! he didn't even rattle his tail!! thank you guys for helping me!!!!!! you really helped! I couldn't thank you more!!!

15. David McConley

Awesome job! You are doing great, just keep it up. Just to let you know, he may still tail rattle for some time to come. I have a female snow corn and she rattled her tail for almost 6 months after I got her. She never tried to bite me, but she did tail rattle. Even now if I touch her hide box and she feels it, she may rattle until she knows it is me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.