This Disappears When Logged In

Worried About My Veiled Chameleon's

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Gator, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Member

I have a young female chameleon and are sure she is in begenning stages of MBD which causes me lots of stress and im sure her aswell i know she has it because ive noticed her front limbs to be slightly bowed and a little bit of swelling in her left hind leg she still gets around her cage but i want to give her the best quality of life what should i do

2. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Though I don't know anything about chameleons it'll help someone who does if you start listing her environment. What size is her enclosure, temps, humidity, diet, etc.

3. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

First, get her to a vet. X-rays can determine if she does have MBD and how bad the disease is, and a treatment of calcium can begin. What lights are you using? Heat, UVB?

4. jannb

jannb Member

What kind of UVB light are you using? What kind of supplements are you using? How are you gutloading your feeders? Can you post a picture?

If it's MBD the vet will give you liquid calcium to give her and the vet will give her shots to draw the liquid calcium back into the bones. I would not wait to take her to the vets so this can be stopped and not get worse. MBD damages are not reversible......the bent legs will stay bend but your chameleon can still live a normal ife if caught in time.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It will depend on how far along it has progressed(If it IS MBD!) Only a vet can tell for sure.
    If caught early enough some of the damage may be reversed.

6. Gator

Gator Member

i have a solar glo 160 watt mercury vapor bulb and a zoomed reptibreez cage I feed her cultured fruit flies small brown crix and occaionally mealworms i use flukkers for calcium and sticky tongue farms minerall for vitamin supp. the cage 18" by 18" by 36" i do take her out occasionally for intense uv rays but its hot in arizona so i dont have her out for more than 30 mins to an hour at most

7. Gator

Gator Member

I do know that part of the problem is my fault but i was also wondering if she may have had probs before i got her from petsmart, I also have a younger male that i recently purchased but not from petsmart cause they had no idea what they were doing. but my male he shows no signs of illness and i wanna keep it that way

8. jannb

jannb Member

The feeders have to be "lightly" dusted with 3 kinds of supplements. Plain calcium (no d3) at just about every feeding...... if you skip one or two days a month that's ok. Calcium with d3 twice a month and a multi. vit. once a month. You need to gut load the feeders with collard greens they are excellent. You can also use kale, carrots, butternut squash apple and orange.

9. Gator

Gator Member

Ive been meaning too say thx but have had some trouble loggin in I think im on the right track and finnaly are getting grasp of the prob before it becomes a bigger one, again thx

10. jannb

jannb Member

Hope she's doing better.