This Disappears When Logged In

Worried About My Python

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by pyke, Dec 7, 2009.

1. parishkl

parishkl Active Member

Why would you want to?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Gloves and tongs can help with this, or feeding in a separate bin.

If your snake grows fast enough that a single hopper is insufficient, then give him two. He looks like he's ready for adult mice though, and same thing, if he outgrows those, and you have some left, feed him two instead of one until they are used up.

An adult BP can eat small to medium rats, by the way.

You could feed chicks, but from all accounts, they will result in runny poo that smells atrocious (compared to normal poo.) BP are not normally bird eaters in the wild. While they wouldn't turn one down, it is not something they would eat with any regularity.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you use your bare hand, it will. It will aim for the heat and may tag you! Get you some long tongs. The ones I use are 10 inch long hemistats with a rounded tip. Some people also use tongs such as you use for serving salad or grilling.

You are already past the hopper stage. Hoppers are babies. The mouse you just fed is an adult.
    Go to Feeder Rodents - Reptile Food, Birds of Prey, Aquatic, Feed Carnivores and they will have pictures of the different sizes available and measurements to show you what size they are. For instance a rat pup is about the size of an adult mouse.

Many keepers of larger snakes supplement with fowl. Although it does tend to make their wastes runny and nastier smelling.

My adults take x-large rats with no problem.

4. parishkl

parishkl Active Member

I can understand feeding adult chickens if you have a burm or something gigantic like that, but not really going out of your way to obtain chicks unless you're doing it just for the thrill of watching your snake kill a baby animal...

In any case, runny nasty poo? Ugh, no thanks. I'll take the mousicles, hands down.

So if my snake is the same size as this one, she's big enough for adult mice? It seems like an adult mouse would almost be the same size as her, and her head is so tiny! :eek:

She DID dispatch two fuzzy mice pretty quickly though...

5. Merlin

That is a common mistake with BPs. Don't look at the size of the head, look at the circumferance of the snake's body at the widest point.
    The bone structure of their heads is actually made to come apart to permit them to swallow large prey.
    Python Swallowing Gazelle - Snake Videos
    Check out this video. About 2 minutes into it there is an animation showing this

6. parishkl

parishkl Active Member

Thanks Merlin! That makes me feel better. She's just so little it seems, and my first snake, so I guess I'm inclined to treat her like glass. Gotta just let her do her thing I guess. :D

The widest part of her torso is probably 1-1 1/4 inches in diameter, give or take a few centimeters.

7. Merlin

A prime example IS the ball python adult. Going by the size of their head would have you feeding something like an adult mouse. Of course you would have to feed a lot of mice to fill up that body which is as big around as a mans arm!
    As for feeding chicks. The same rodent supplier also has frozen chicks and quail. So you do not have to be feeding live birds.
    But I stick with rodents!

8. pyke

pyke Active Member

Oh i didnt know a snake could take more then one rodent at a time. i thought that be to much for them..
    i know when i fed sam last it took him about 5 mins to get that mouse down

9. parishkl

parishkl Active Member

Since I didn't have any adult mice (just fuzzy mice) I gave my ball Naga three of them tonight, because she acted hungry, and she slurped them down. I'll definitely have to get adult mice or rat pups for her next time...

10. pyke

pyke Active Member

i actually just took sam out of his tank and i just noticed some redness about an inch back from his head.. he will not let me get a good look at this anyone know anything?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is there anything in the tank he could have rubbed against? It might make it easier if you could put a photo up...
    Thanks!

12. pyke

pyke Active Member

heres some pics
    samneck001.jpg
    samneck002.jpg
    samneck003.jpg
    samneck004.jpg

Attached Files:

13. pyke

pyke Active Member

i been noticing him rubbing up to his hides lately and his eyes are looking bluer today
    i think hes do for a shed but i dunno, like some of his colors look faded so thats why i think he is

14. parishkl

parishkl Active Member

Pretty baby!

15. pyke

pyke Active Member

thanks

16. Merlin

Ball python's bellies will turn a pinkish cast as shed is approaching. Perhaps that is what you are seeing. I am not seeing anything in the photos to be concerned with.

17. pyke

pyke Active Member

thank god!
    like i dunno but Sam is litterly as if i had a child, i worry about him all the time and i feel bad because you guys said i shouldnt handle him much and he just looks at me as if i should reach in and pick him up :( its so sad lol
    but heres pics of his home as it is right now what you all think about it?

sam3006.jpg
    sam3007.jpg
    sam3008.jpg
    sam3009.jpg

i think im crazy but personally i think Sams gotten bigger. what do you think? lol

Attached Files:

18. Merlin

To be honest, handling does more for us than it does for them.
    As far as they are concerned they would be quite happy just to be left alone.

19. parishkl

parishkl Active Member

You have a nice looking setup there! Sam is very pretty.

20. pyke

pyke Active Member

when ur snake is sheding is it bad to handle them?
    i know there is a highter risk of being bitn but does it hurt them any?