This Disappears When Logged In

Worms in Water Dish (pics)

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Andyc3020, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I'm a little embarrassed that I let the water dish get this dirty. It's been almost a week since I've cleaned it out. Does anyone know what kind of worms these are? They were in my snake's water dish. Probably 15-20 of them. the biggest was probably 3/8 inch.
    CAM01060.jpg
    CAM01061.jpg

2. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I should also add that she didn't poop in her water dish, and never has.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They don't look like your run-of-the-mill parasite type worms, so my best guess is something living in the substrate.

What kind of substrate, and have you added any new branches or furniture to the enclosure recently that they could have hitch-hiked in on?

4. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

No new stuff in the enclosure, but I don't think they are parasites either. They looked more like insect larva. I guess it's time to do some deep cleaning. I'm using Repti Bark.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Never mind, I commented before looking at the picture better. No clue.

6. purplecandle

purplecandle Active Member

Likely an Annelid. Definitely, not planaria. Not a parasite from your animal and not a hitchhiker. In fact your animal could eat it and would be fine.

Most healthy systems will have nasties like these in undetectable levels. But once you see them they are a symptom of a problem.

They eat detritus, nitrates..uneaten food, poop, gunk basically.

Nothing to freak out about just clean more, feed less if you are over feeding :)

The Worms!

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Really, every 2 days is minimum for changing the water assuming the critter didn't poop in the bowl. It's not that hard to get into the habit.
    As for the worms, parasites that would live in the snake would drown in the water bowl. No clue where they came from, but it's a good bet the snake didn't drop them.