This Disappears When Logged In

Wood Sanitation

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by billrogers, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

Ok, just making sure that I do things right, :) I'm gonna order the springtails today, when they get here
    After that, they start reproducing in the enclosure? Will they also still reproduce in their container they came in?

2. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

they should yeah

3. billrogers

I got it planted! The roaches are currently residing in a temporary tote while it grows in. Hopefully they don't eat everything once they are are returned :) I'll update what happens.
    IMG_8308.JPG

4. Kristof

wow! That looks great! :)

5. billrogers

Thanks! I think the roaches are going to think "He set up a smorgasbord for us. How nice!" :)

Kristof likes this.
  6. Kristof

Lol hopefully not

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

dairy products are found in a lot of commercial insect chows (I don't know why, since last I knew, only mammals could digest it...)

Nice hisser display tank. Your are spoiled, mine live in a plastic garbage can.

Your hissers will, however, eat any live vegetation they come across, which may not be an issue if you aren't feeding them out. If you plan on feeding, just cross reference and make sure the plants are not in any way toxic to your herps.

Ferns look great, and many tropical species do well in terrariums. You might be able to contact a seller, and verify how their ferns are grown. Black Jungle specializes in terrarium plants, and has a good selection. Since many of their plants are intended for terrariums, (they do dart frogs, too) they might be safer, and I'm sure they would have answers for you.

8. billrogers

I'm having second thoughts about putting the hissers back in :D What else would do well in a 20 gal planted viv?

9. Kristof

Haha. Some dart frogs might do well in that. I think haha

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I think a lot of them use the dairy as a source of extra calcium. Not totally sure, but that's what I've heard before. The dry mix I make is equal parts rodent chow dust and chicken laying mash. I collect the powder from my bags of rodent feed, and purchase a 50lb bag of the chicken feed at a feed store. Actually, I need to make up a new batch soon too.

Dragoness likes this.
  11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

crested gecko, african fat tail gecko, amphibs... lots of options. Besides, you'd probably never see the hissers, they prefer to hide.

12. billrogers

I like @Kristof 's suggestion, dart frogs. What kinds are good for beginners? And can some eat dubia roaches? I don't like the idea of raising crickets.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

most darts won't take anything larger than pinhead crickets. You'd need springtails and fruit flies.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

but a pacman - they will take almost anything that moves.

Darkbird likes this.
  15. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Including stray fingers, if what I've seen of larger specimens is any indication, lol.

Kristof likes this.
  16. Kristof

Dont think a pacman would do good in there, They like more open space and would trample live plants

17. billrogers

Going out on a limb here, what about a Lasiodora parahybana? I've always wanted one of those. The tank might be too cluttered for them though.

18. Kristof

Might be too cluttered, agreed. Is that species super tropical? I know nothing about tarantulas xD I would stick to dart frogs though, those would be great!

Is this a 20 gallon tall or long viv?

19. billrogers

Lp's are from brazil, so yeah, tropics.

Its a long. And its planted to be like a forest floor. Its not really suited for arboreal species. I guess dart frogs fit that :)

What species of dart frogs are good for beginners?

Also, I read the care sheet for fruit flies, how do you get them to a new jar when their culture spoils without letting them all out? I didn't see that anywhere.

20. Kristof

Ah it looks kinda aborial in the picture haha.

Here ya go for the frogs :) Beginner Dart Frogs for Sale | Poison Dart Frogs for Sale | Josh's Frogs

One thing i would note, the only dart frogs that are 100% posion to the touch are the ones from the "terribills" family, avoid those. Also, pick one family. You shouldnt mix different families of frogs.

Im not too sure with the fruit fly cultures, check out that website Joshs frogs they should have a tutorial.

Springtails are super easy to culture, and i beleive can also be a food source. just have cups with moist eco earth, and when one fills up put some springtails in a new cup. You can use rice or anything to feed them; they dont eat food but the mold that grows on it. So i would recommend some soggy rice haha.

Best of luck :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.