This Disappears When Logged In

Wood Sanitation

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by billrogers, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

NEHERP sells a good variety of plants but it's not worth buying if it's a small order since the shipping is a lot.

2. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I currenty keep my baby Soutern Alligator Lizard it there :)

I live close to a LLLReptile store, so i picked it up from them. You probably could use some from nurseries if you wanted to. I would check and see if LLLReptile sells them on their site first though. Or look at any reptile stores for some :p

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

Awesome enclosures!

4. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

Thanks!

I guess I'll look around a bit for plants. Maybe there is a good nursery close to me.

So now the wood is growing some mold :( Is that ok? I guess its just from the high humidity and low airflow. I took the lid off for now.

5. Kristof

That tends to happen alot in my experience. I would get some springtails or isopods as they eat mold and stuff.

6. billrogers

Will they also eat the roaches food? (The cat food) I'll probably just get some anyway to help with it. In your experience, where is the best place to buy them?

I am working on a permanent top for the cage and I'll will make sure it has good sized vents to help with air circulation, and I'll just make sure to mist it daily to keep humidity up.

I collected some neat moss today, Maybe I can use it after sterilizing it somehow. Maybe gas it with dry ice?

7. Kristof

They might eat the roach food but I don't think it it will really make a difference. (Springtails are tiny)

I've only bought them from reptile stores in my area. I'm lucky to have a quite a few lol. If you can't find them I would just order them. Josh's Frogs seems to have a good price 32 oz for $10. here's a link : Temperate Springtail (Colombella) Culture (32 oz) | Josh's Frogs

I don't have too much experience collecting moss or anything besides wood, but I have heard others gassing out stuff they find so you should be fine.

8. billrogers

That looks good, thanks :) If there is 32 ounces I could probably use some now and save some for later.

My parents are concerned the springtails will get out. I know some escapees are unavoidable but they mostly stay put, right? and the ones that do get should just die?

9. Kristof

Some might get out, yes. They require high humidity though so will die. (Unless you live somewhere like Florida)

10. billrogers

So do I just mix some of the stuff that comes in the container into the substrate?

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Just a note on any live plants. My hissers will absolutely mow through any greens I offer, so I highly doubt live plants would last any length of time.

12. billrogers

Ok, thanks. I might test out some pothos, I have some going and could put a few cuttings in there.

13. Kristof

You could, What I do is put some water in it, and then pour it out. Springtails float so this is a good way to do it.

14. billrogers

Thanks for all the info :) I'll post pics when I get everything figured out.

15. Kristof

Awesome can't wait!

16. billrogers

I'm still working out what I will do, but had a question about springtails. When they are established in the enclosure, are they very noticeable? To the point it could look kind of gross? (they aren't the prettiest inverts around)

17. Kristof

I wouldn't say that they are super noticeable. And i don'y think that you could really see them. They don't get that big xD

18. billrogers

Yeah, I just thought it might be kinda gross if they are crawling over everything in the cage :D

19. billrogers

It won't hurt the hissers if they eat some pothos, right?

I want to try putting some with them, but if they eat it, I don't want it to hurt them.

20. Kristof

No it wont hurt them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.