This Disappears When Logged In

Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by cabbott, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabbott

cabbott New Member

I am "snake-sitting" my son's rosy & likely will be for the next several months. During the summer & fall, he usually ate weekly with an occasional skip of a week. For the past couple of months, he has not even shown interest in the mice I've tried to feed him. I thought perhaps it was because he was cold so I got a larger pad for the bottom of the tank (it also sticks better) & a second light as he was spending most of his time curled up under one of the bask rocks. I also got a second lamp and now the temp in the tank is closer to 80° at one end. He is more active now but tonight he again showed no interest in the mouse. He has been raised on thawed, killed mice so I don't think that is the issue. He seems healthy & active otherwise & his eyes aren't clouded as though he's getting ready to shed. The snake is in a 20 gallon tank, the humidity is close to zero, the substrate is shavings which I recently changed.

Should I be concerned & does anyone have any suggestions.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not a well-experienced snake guy and I'm surprised no one has commented yet.
    But I'll post this and keep the thread alive. Hopefully someone can pipe up soon.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t keep these snakes but 80f seems quite low, how are you measuring it? From the little I`ve read they need a basking temp of around 32c (90f).

4. cabbott

cabbott New Member

Since I've added the second light, the temp at one end is closer to 90-100 F. The other end is 70F. I haven't tried feeding yet. I'll let you know if having the tank warmer helped.

5. Romeyrider

Romeyrider Well-Known Member

Having the tank warmer may help. I don't have experience with rosys but with sand boas it is not at all uncommon for a male snake to stop eating for a few months during a time when they think they should be breeding. They are just thinking of the ladies.

I wouldn't worry too much as snakes can go for many months without eating and suffer no ill effects. What I would do is offer him his food at night time as they are most active at night. Next thing is only attempt to feed him once a week. Constantly trying to get him to eat will make him uninterested. So whenever you tried last time give him seven days to wait then try again. Also don't spend lots of time holding him a couple of days prior to eating.

Here are some questions that could help me help you more...
    Do you feed in the tank or out of the tank?
    How old is the snake and what sized prey is he being offered?
    Has his cage been moved recently?
    Does he have a hide in his cage?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This thread is almost a year old and the member has nt been back on site since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.