This Disappears When Logged In

Window Tinting

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by skoll513, Jan 11, 2013.

1. skoll513

skoll513 New Member

this was the best place i could see to ask this so does anyone know if there are downfalls to using window tint as a background in a terrarium. I couldnt find anything about it anywhere i looked, but im curious if i used it would it reflect more uvb back into the tank since it helps block it from coming into the vehicle i was thinking it would keep it from escaping out as well as maybe raising the heat a little. can anyone give me any insight to weather it would be a good idea.

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I am not experienced with actually trying this, so I don't know for sure. However, one herp vet I've taken one of my water dragons to suggested I use dark window tinting in her enclosure to help prevent her from seeing out so she wouldn't snout rub or slam into the glass trying to escape. I ended up not doing this, because I found a cheaper method of remedying the issue, but this vet is highly experienced with water dragons (who do require UVB) so I would have gone this route myself had it been feasible. From what I understand, the tinting is not designed to reflect the UVB rays, but simply to absorb them. That being said, there are different kinds of window tinting (dark, reflective, etc.) so I'm not sure if this is true for all varieties.

3. skoll513

skoll513 New Member

this stuff is heat shield that i found a roll of stashed away and it says it blocks 67 percent of heat but the website doesnt have any uv rejection percentage so i guess if nothing else it would keep the tank warm but i know theres others that block most all uv so i would think that would help but im not sure

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The problem is that the glass wall of the tank is going to filter out any UVB so any light that is reflected back is just going to be visible light.

5. skoll513

skoll513 New Member

what if it was put on the inside of the tank im planning on setting the tank up for a cornsnake so it wouldnt have to be extreamy humid and it should stick fairly tight in the tank

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

corn snakes do not need UVB.