This Disappears When Logged In

Will Tree Frogs Regulate Their Own Temp?

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by HydroDragon, Mar 29, 2010.

1. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

I'm getting my vivarium all set up and trying to get all the temp/humidity settings right. So far I'm battling a fluctuating heat problem. At the top of the enclosure its reading out at 90+ degrees. while at the bottom of the enclosure its as low as 75 degrees. The enclosure is completely sealed except for the side vents mounted down low.

So im asking if the RETF's that i have planned on going in this habitat will seek out favorite temperature/humidity settings. Or do they just try to get up as high as they can all the time? Beings the temp's are so high at the top of the cage i don't want them to be uncomfortable and die because they are trying to just enjoy climbing.

Sorry for a silly question. Just wanna make sure this home is set up all nice and comfy for them when i decide to make the purchase.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They'll figure out where they want to be at the right temps and hiding spots. Strangely enough, my guys stay almost all the time on the cooler side (78 or so). You may want to try lowering the high temp by 5 degrees or so.

3. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Ok I will turn down my CHE to about 87* at the top of the enclosure. And continue monitoring Humidity and Temp's throughout the setup. The temp at the middle of the cage. is around 85* right now. But a foot above that area is 90+. So hopefully I can get it regulated a bit.

My humidity hover's around 60% average or so. So im contemplating getting a fogger setup to run every hour to make sure the humidity stays up near 75%+.

Thanks for the info Liz.

4. schlegelbagel

60% humidity is fine. Fresh air is more important than humidity for these guys. They'll take full advantage of a dish of water and soak if they feel the need.

5. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Ok if they dont mind 60% humidity my setup should be fine as far has the Humidity goes. I do plan on adding a couple small water dishes on the ground. And maybe one up mid level in the cage if I can find something to set it on. (once i get my jungle gym of branches set up.) My gauges after leaving the CHE off all night and not misting for over 12 hours read out at 75* ambient temp (middle of the enclosure) and 78%! humidity. So now I just gotta adjust my temperatures so that they dont get to hot up top.

6. schlegelbagel

And remember, less heat will mean more humidity.