This Disappears When Logged In

Wild caught tree frogs

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by Manhirwen, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I was wondering if keeping wild caught tree frogs is a good idea or a bad idea? They would be pacific tree frogs I'm guessing now that I've done some research on them.

2. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Thinking about it today, it's a bad idea. They could have parasites or other ickies in them that I wouldn't want to spread to my other herps.

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

They could. It would be possible with a QT but not worth it IMO, there are CB ones everywhere. If they are invasive then it may be a good thing to collect a few ;)

4. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I would like to find some captive bred pacific tree frogs. They're my favorite frogs. They're native so they're not invasive. I caught one last night that was trying to cross a busy road and took him home for pics. I'll post them later tonight, and don't worry, I'm not keeping him. But he sure is cute.

If anyone knows where to get these guys cheap that are CB let me know.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I've never seen them CB, but i've kept about 4 or 5 of them. I love the little guys! Maybe you should take it upon yourself to breed some ;) That could be quite a chore, I never had mine display any breeding actions.

6. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Well the little guy is deffinately a boy, breeding sounds cool and all and I wouldn't mind it but I don't know, my husband wants to keep it now and asked me how much it would be to take it to the vet to have any parasites dealt with, I told him that maybe we should just go find some CB. hehe

7. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Here are a couple pics of the little guy[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Awesome Beth, thats a great pic. :)

9. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

:D great pics! you should definatley consider breeding them yourself :)

10. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Great pics.:)

I have major reservations about wild caught animals -- unless it's necessary to introduce a species to captivity or for another valid reason, I totally disagree with it. We have so many captive animals of many many species now, and it's not necessary to remove these animals from their natural environment any more. Can you imagine - having the whole of nature to explore to then be taken and put in a glass tank with restrictive sides and lid? Captive animals are used to living in these enclosed spaces but wild animals are not.

If it isn't necessary, then buy a captive animal instead.

Also there are the risks as someone already mentioned; parasites, illness, and so on that could be passed on to your other animals. As with any new animal - including captive - you need to strictly quarantine to avoid this risk.

11. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

Nice pics and yes they are captivating little critters. I enjoy sitting out in the screen room in the evening listening to the tree frogs serenading. As Cody well knows we have a problem with almost having too many here in Florida. If we have an evening rain in an area of low ground thousands are squashed by vehicles as they are covering the wet roads. I don't recall how many different types of tree frogs we have right now but enature.com has pics and descriptions of all of them for any location.

12. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Beth, I was trying to find if Pacific Tree Frogs can carry chytrid, either way the risk of introducing chytrid into my collection would make me not even consider it. If your unaware of the chytrid fungus do a google search, it will make you cringe as it is very sad. As fran said we have a large population of tree frogs, most of them are invasive and pushing our locals out and more than likely harboring chytrid and spreading it as they don't have the niches that the native frogs do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.