This Disappears When Logged In

Wild Baja California Tree Frogs Living in Toilet Tank

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by killer, Jun 28, 2013.

1. killer

killer New Member

My boyfriend and I are on vacation out here at a friends house, which is located in the hills of East San Diego. On our first night here, I only saw 1 frog. He/she was sitting in the window sill. Last night, however, I found 2 brownish/yellow colored frogs in the window sill and 1 little green fellow hiding in a box of facial tissue. Curious, I sat and watched for at least an hour- catching one as he/she snuck into the toilet tank. I went to bed shortly after.

This morning, the 2 smaller frogs were in the toilet tank still and the larger one was hiding in the space between the tank and the bowl.

My concerns are as follows:

1. I've been lifting the tank lid to see where the frogs are before flushing the toilet, but today is my last day here. After we leave, 3 kids that come here every weekend might come use this bathroom. Is it safe for those frogs to be in there, where people might come along and flush?

2. Do you think that the well water here is safe for the frogs? I have no way of telling whether or not it has chlorine in it.

3. How did the frogs get in here? (My boyfriend keeps telling me that they're coming in through the toilet or from the shower drain, but I can't see how that's possible. The bathroom is at the end of a long narrow studio/ room and the front door has a 1" gap at the bottom of it.)

4. The screen in the bathroom seals the window off quite well, leaving little to no room for bugs to enter. All the cobwebs in the bathroom are empty. The only insects I've seen in there (except for 1 lonely pill bug) were insects that we attracted: ants and moths. The ants had formed their trail during the day, when the frog weren't out. The moths were tiny, there were only 3 of them, and they had come in through the front door because they were attracted to the light. I'm wondering if the frog's have an adequate food source here in the bathroom? The 2 smaller ones appear bonier, to me...

Note: I have pictures, but have had no luck in attaching them successfully...