This Disappears When Logged In

Wierd spider!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by steel rip, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I was sat at my computer desk when this little spider came trotting up my monitor, it doesn't look like your normal house spider you get here in the UK.

I captured it it's only very small, and to me looks like a jumping spider, the ones with big eyes at the front, I did try and get a picture but it wont go down to the bottom so I can get anything decent.

It is certainly a spider I have never seen in UK before, heres a pic, best i could get for now, will try to get something better if it doesn't escape, I think I have it secure.

[​IMG]

2. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Better Picture

I managed to get a better picture...

[​IMG]

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Cute little thing!!!

4. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

you have more patience with little things that crawl around where you don't want them than i do. Likewise, had I been the person sitting at the computer at the moment, i would have screamed like a sissy girl and run away. ;)

5. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Those little spiders I can manage without hooky-jigs :) I just love the little jumping spiders! They're so cute, and they can be so fierce and ferocious when they feel threatened, which just makes them cuter :p

6. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

yeah that looks liek a jumping spider, i have aot of them outside my house. there so cute how they'll fight back if you try to scare tehm away, my sister couldnt tunr on a lamp once becuase ajumping spider decide to make its home on the switch and jumped at her when she tryed to turn it on

7. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I still have it captured, going to see if it will grow any, its certainly weird, and its not scared lol like you say Jade, how can I get a jumping spider though here, we dont get them, could it be something else?

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That's 100% jumping spider right there. Various species are found all over the world, and you found one of them. I doubt it will grow any larger though. All jumping spiders stay pretty tiny. The largest one in the world is only 3/4 of an inch long, or about 2 cm. I can guarantee you've got a jumper though.

9. ribbit2

ribbit2 Elite Member

:) That is definately a jumper i have captured lots for pets. they are abundant here in canada and i love then to they are so sweet and cute. :p

10. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Sheeesh... thanks Matt, I have been waiting for your reply, I knew you knew your jumping spiders, :D

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, thanks Donna :eek: Jumping spiders make fun pets. We only have a few species in ND. The most common of whch is a tiny black, white, and yellow one.

These are some pics of another jumper I had. Not sure what her species was, but I named her Porsche.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Thanks Matt :D that second pic looks a lot like mine, I just love jumping spiders myself, thats how I was able to identify it, just want to be sure with a clarification, seen a great programe on them once It was cool, I am tring to catch some of them flies for it lol :D

Oh almost forgot, Matt how would I keep it I have it in a glass container without anything, whats best for them?

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

They're happy to live in people's houses as well as outside, so they're not that picky about what their homes are like as long as they can catch food. I'd just giver her a stick and some leaves or something, or just a simple crumpled piece of paper. She'll just need something to crawl on a little and jump down from. Don't put too much in there though. Too much clutter will make lining up her jump a lot more difficult. Many species will make a tiny little hut out of silk in a high corner. This is where she'll hide out, waiting for prey to come within sight. Not all species build one though, so don't worry if she doesn't. You can also put a bottle cap or something similar in there and put a few drops of water in it, but they get the majority of their moisture from their prey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.