This Disappears When Logged In

Why you shouldn't use coils and colored light

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Payton, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It may be worth clarifying what is meant as a 'basking' bulb. When diurnal reptiles bask, they need not just UVB and not just heat, but both on one spot.

I am assuming your reference here in this thread is referring to a 'basking bulb' as the source of heat for daytime?

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer Fluoro tubes over an MVB?

It may be something as simple as a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the MVBs for my diurnal reptiles.

2. Payton

Payton Active Member

I explain more on bulbs in lighting on my website I believe.

Yes, as thats what they are called. A basking bulb is a light used for basking. A basking spot is an area where they bask :)

Yes, I use the t5 HO bulbs which have more UVB than a regular tube UVB. I prefer them because they cover the length of the tank. Making sure the whole tank is lit. Since tanks are supposed to be completely lit :)

Although an MVB would be good in a very large tank with a tube at the unlit end.

3. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

I can't get UVB tubes here. Period. Coils are all they sell and my beardie is happy, healthy, and active. I've never had a problem with them, the local pet stores have never had a problem with them...
    Theoretically, if I was interested in a tube, where on EARTH do they sell them? I've never seen them on Amazon, and I live in the US.

4. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  5. MyImmortalWolf

PetSmart here only has coils. I've never seen a tube.

6. Payton

Payton Active Member

All petsmarts do.. If yours doesn't look for another store near by

And petsores will tell you anything to buy bulbs.. You wouldn't know if the petstores had problems.. As I said in the post, sometimes you don't notice.. Most breeders and vets only use tube UVB's or MVB's

ZOO MED™ REPTISUN™ 10.0 UVB Reptile Lamp | Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart

Amazon.com : Zoo Med ReptiSun® 10.0 High Output UVB Fluorescent Bulb 17 Watts, 24-Inch : Pet Habitat Lights : Pet Supplies

The t5 are actually best. they have a higher UVB output than the regulars.

7. MyImmortalWolf

No. There is one PetSmart 1/2 an hour from my house. I can't just go to another one without making an hourlong trip. At any rate, I'm perfectly happy with my coil and the research I've done indicates that they're actually fine.

8. Payton

Payton Active Member

There is a lot of proof that indicates they are very unhealthy..
    UV Guide UK - Ultraviolet Light for Reptiles - 2005 Reptile Lighting Survey
    I actually had a rescue die from them.. Please look into it.. It's not worth the risk. And even if they didn't cause blindness (which they do) they don't create enough UVB.. and the UVB it does emit is only in a very small space.
    Bearded Dragon Advice
    Bearded Dragons-General - Why are coil uvbs bad?
    Bearded Dragon . org • View topic - Why are coil UVB lights bad??
    Bearded Dragon . org • View topic - compact coil UVB bulb
    UV Lighting for Reptiles: A new problem with high UVB output fluorescent compact lamps and tubes?

Lighting - Care of Bearded Dragons (Pogona vitticeps)
    bearded dragon uvb lighting ? - Page 2
    Reptiles: UVB coil light?, mercury vapor bulb, uvb light
    This is not an attack.. It's just much better for them to use a MVB or a tube light.. If it's the price you can get fixtures from hardware stores

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Wolf our Petsmart has tubes but they keep them laying on a top shelf. Probably to keep them out of little hands that might smash them!
    Ask the employee that works in that department.

10. MyImmortalWolf

I'll ask- thanks Merlin!

11. Payton

Payton Active Member

Yeah. Sometimes they do keep them put away :) Here is a picture of the best bulb (in my opinion) to use :) If your tank is large you can get the t5 HO instead of the t8. It has a higher UVB output.

Attached Files:

12. DragonSlayer

Do you have a UV meter? I just bought one because of the new lighting system I am buying from ReptileUV requires a UV meter before he will sell it. My Coils put out just fine UVB, it was right at 35 when 12" away, the sun was around 37 at noon yesterday.

13. Payton

Payton Active Member

Sometimes they are fine but most don't give off enough. It's just best not to risk it when it comes to UVB in my opinion.

14. DragonSlayer

Think it's best to have a UV meter to make sure your lights are putting out the UV needed.

Dragoness and murrindindi like this.
  15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, where are you getting a 250w metal halide from and what`s it for?

It is best NOT to have the T5 (HO) tubes running the full length of the enclosure, there should be areas where the animal/s can retreat from the UVB irradiation, I would suggest having them around 2/3rds the length of the enclosure.
    Again I would point out to other members that there is some quite inaccurate information being offered on the above website.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  16. DragonSlayer

Reptile UV it setting it up for my 8'x12' room. Between this and another fixture I have have the area cover with UV and the rest of the are low UV for him to get out of the light.
    I was going to get the Zoo fixture, but once I reduced the room from 12x12 to 8x12 Bob said I didn't need the Zoo Fixture, the one he is building me will work fine.
    The 250w Metal Halide is part of the fixture and made by Reptile UV.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I believe this is the manufacturer of the Mega-Ray bulbs (mercury vapour), so I would think his judgement is good as to the best type of bulb for your setup.
    That`s a decent sized enclosure, photos of the progress will be most welcome!

18. DragonSlayer

19. Payton

Payton Active Member

Thanks for your input... although as i said before.. The link I provided about red bulbs was not meant as a guide...

And yes..I know. I meant the light reaches most of the tank. The light I use is maybe half the tank.. (the t5)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm confused... are you saying the tank should be halfway lit, or completely lit?