This Disappears When Logged In

Why Is My Pygmy Bearded Dragon Not Growing?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Lauza_emily, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Lauza_emily

Lauza_emily New Member

I have two Pygmy Bearded Dragons both about 7 months old from the same litter. I noticed when I first bought them that one of the lizards was slightly smaller than the rest of the litter and that his tail was a bit shorter and rounded off compared to the others as though the end had fallen off (I'm not sure what happened to it). Anyway, the breeder didn't seem concerned about it and so I didn't think much of it at the time. Now I'm worried that it is something that I should have been concerned about. My other lizard has been growing fine and is now about 15cm in length from head to tail, a lot bigger than when I first got him. The first one though hasn't seemed to have grown a bit staying at about 10.5cm. I am fairly certain that the problem is not to do with my set up or diet as I have both lizards in the same tank and feed them the same food and the other is doing fine. The tank has a heat lamp and UV light with a temp of 35 degrees Celsius. I also have a heat mat, several shaded areas and basking logs. I feed both of them a balanced diet of crickets with calcium powder, lizard pellets, and cut up vegetables. Both lizards are behaving normally, very alert and occasionally quite active running around the tank. Both are eating well too and get very excited when I feed them. Other than growth and the short tail of one of them, there are absolutely no other problems with my pygmys, I am just wondering whether or not I should be concerned about this? Is my lizard just small? Should I be taking him to the vet? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, quite often cohabiting leads to one animal being dominated, I would think that`s the main reason one is smaller than the other , other than for breeding purposes its best to house them alone.
    Can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure including a top view and say how you`re measuring the ambient (air) and the basking surface temp plus humidity range, and what the latter two are if 35c is the air temp?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The tails dont just fall off. What you are describing with the tail is a typical situation when hatchlings are housed together. The tail tips as well as toes are bitten off by the other dragons in a feeding frenzy.