This Disappears When Logged In

Why is My P Cham Eating Bark?!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Huey08, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huey08

Huey08 Member

is this safe? :confused:

4x2x2 enclosure, 5.0 uvb powersun, 50-70 % humidity. eats phoenix worms, wax worms and cricks.

Attached Files:

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

you might try giving him some veggies occasionally and see if that stops the eating of the bark. Does he have any live plants in the tank that he could eat? I know that the care sheets say they will eat the plants in the viv with them, and as long as they aren't toxic plants its fine.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

NO! You need to remove all of the bark that will come off from that branch immediately.
    This is impaction fixing to happen!
    And its very odd behavior!

4. Huey08

Huey08 Member

Hi guys, with some more reading I found this article, and I didnt mean to have it sound like he was eating bark chips but rather pulling off thin strips from that jungle vine. Can anyone confirm this posting about pchams? thanks!

In the fields and jungles of Madagascar, not only do they ingest thousands of different types of plants thru eating insects, they also ingest tree Lichens and Tannic Acids thru the eating of bark. This is how they get their natural resistance to parasitic infections and the tannic acids are a form of calcium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.