This Disappears When Logged In

Why is My African Clawed Frog Surfaced 75% of the Day? Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by daisyduke2813, Jun 13, 2013.

1. daisyduke2813

daisyduke2813 New Member

I have 2 african clawed frogs. Still can't sex them sorry. They are in a 20 gallon long. I use led lighting and water temp is always 75F. I have a thermometer mounted on the tank . I do 50% water changes every 2-3 days. They eat reptomin sinking granules, frozen brine shrimp and earthworms. They are still immature as far as I know and not too big yet. I just got them recently. They eat every other day usually a half earthworm and either a bowl of brine shrimp or reptomin depending. They are actually dyed. I know thats mean but I had no clue when I bought them. The one I named Daisy recently went into a shaking fit wich I thought might have been a seizure mostly in her back right leg. She still has full use of it. But now she sits at the top of the water all stretched out 75% of the day and I am concerned. She goes to the bottom once in awhile and dont seem to be struggling to stay down. Its like she perfers to be lazy at the top. I dont know if she is sick though. I had problems getting her to eat for 6 days but now have her eating again. She shows no other sign of illness.. No redness, no swelling, no struggling to stay submerged. But why is she hanging out at the top all day? PLZ help me.

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Do you have a filter set up? I had 2 a long time ago. I had an internal filter and pointed the spout to the glass to reduce the current.

I would bring a water sample into a petshop and ask if they can test it for you, most will do for free. I know with fish if the ammonia level is too high they will go to the top and gasp for air.
    Also are you rinsing the brine shrimp before you feed them? They are grown in salt water and salt can be harmful to frogs. Are you decolorinating the water? Frogs absorb everything through their skin, so any chemicals or toxins in the water can make them very sick.