This Disappears When Logged In

Why is he so thin?

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by WDBILL, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Yang (The baby Jackson i own) is really thin, but i dont get it, he eats close to 50 fruit flies in a day. I dont see him eat, but i do see alot of poo all over(Which i cleaned up) It doesnt make sense, hes a little puny cham, but he eats like a full grown water dragon. Is that just how they are? And another question, when they fold up their tails and hang out is this okay or are they stressed if they do iT?

TY in advance
    -Bill

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Chameleons are thin Bill - if he is thin when you look at him head on then it's fine, however if you can see his bones then that is a little worrying..

The fact he is eating and pooing is a good sign, however have you taken it to the vet for a check-up and a faecal exam? - after what happened to his cage mates I would like to make sure there are no parasites or illnesses present.

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

A good curled up tail is a good sign, they use it to grip too, hes still only young plenty of time to put weight on, and if there is poo thats a good sign also, your just a worry wart like the rest of us, he will be fine, have you tried small crickets, or baby locust, they love locust, mine does anyway, he wont eat anything else, mines shedding at the moment i feel so sorry for him, I am having to spray more and provide damp towels to help him, but his colour underneith the shed is lovely and bright :D

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Unlike most lizards, chams are "laterally compressed". They're flat going up and down instead of side to side, so they're naturally thin. As stated though, if you can see any bones, like his hips, spine, or tail bones, then he's too thin. Fruit flies seem kinda small for a cham, I'd try upgrading to something like pinhead or small crickets.

5. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

I've given him crix, but i think they were to big. Its hard to get such tiny crix.

6. Keggo

Keggo Active Member

All I can get out here in Bakersfield are small crickets..

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

How big is the little guy? Pinhead crix are pretty small (about the size of a pinhead, imagine that!:p). Fruitflies will have to do though if you can't get small enough crickets.

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yeah, fruit flies are used for the first few weeks of a cham's life, but how old is he now? Can't you get different sized brown and black crix? - maybe you can post a pic of him next to something to give a size comparison? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.