This Disappears When Logged In

Why does he do that?

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Sentress, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentress

Sentress Elite Member

Ok, last night I got home from work to find Xantasa sleeping in his hide spot (on the cool side, next to my head.) I left him be, turned off the lights and sat at the computer for a while before going to bed.

The next morning I got up before him, and got ready for work. When I went to turn the lights on a bit later (you know, for the photo period) I noticed him sticking his head out of the hide spot, watching me.

Now, this is my question... Am I correct in assuming that for him to curl up in the hide spot to sleep (instead of sleeping where he can see my face) that he's finally getting more comfortable? (or, at the very least, he's decided to stop waiting for me to kill him, so to speak.)

That's the impression I got, and I just wanted to be sure.

The other question I have has to do with temps. It gets hot down here in Texas, take today for instance. It got up to 85 here. Gorgeous, however, I work from 12 noon to 8:30 so when I get off work it's already cooling off.

I don't want to cause him undue stress, but I also don't want to pay for high electric bills because of my AC running all the time. I worry about how warm it will get in that tank with the heat lamp on and no AC (which means it'll get to 85 or higher in that apartment) and he won't have a 'cool' spot...

Any suggestions? If I have to do the AC full time, I will, but I just wondered if there were other solutions...

2. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

You could try a lower watt bulb or a florescent fixture that gives off basically no heat.

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

He is probably getting used to his new home and feeling more settled.

If your room is light enough you could just use normal daylight for him, it wont hurt not to have a bulb in there if room temps are adeqate.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's more a matter of him getting comfortable with the hide spot. THAT is where he will feel most secure. If its that warm in the room you might wnat to leave the heat lamp off or at least put it on a thermostat so it will turn off at a certain temp

5. Sentress

Sentress Elite Member

That would work for the heat, but what about him not having a place to cool down? It gets up to 90 degrees in that apartment. I don't want him to overheat and not have a way to cool off.... That's what I'm worried about.... I have a ceiling fan that helps but it really does get pretty hot in there.

maybe I can just turn the AC on and leave it up at 77 or so...

6. Sentress

Sentress Elite Member

Ok, where do I get a thermostat? how does that work, that would be good, then I wouldn't have to worry. Since I don't get off until 8:30, and due to the way my apartment is situated I worry about me not getting home before he gets too cold. The sun goes to the other side of the building by mid afternoon (about 3 or so) and that is when the apartment starts to cool off... it's the fluctuation. I can turn the bulb off and he'll be warm, but I worry about the cool... will he be ok?

God I sound so paranoid already lol.

7. Merlin

You can order thermostats form a number of online suppliers. they will be cheaper than the pet shops.
    I frequently use www.Herpsupplies.com
    How cool does it get?

8. Sentress

Sentress Elite Member

At 7:40 pm (current time) it is 87. Tonight it's supposed to get to 48. But that's outside temps... It usually doesn't cool off quite so fast in the house... it depends on whether there's a breeze blowing in...

9. Merlin

If the temp in the house doesn't drop below 70 you should be ok except after a feeding. Then you still want a warm spot for him for a few days.

10. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I've been very pleased with the thermostats I bought from Big Apple Herp online. You can look at the thermostat here:
    http://www.bigappleherp.com/bigappl...de001d1c52271d424d361a05f4+EN/products/924105

We keep our AC on 78 during the warmest months, and with the lamps on the thermostat, I don't have to worry about anybody getting way too hot. I used to worry all day long while I was at work until I bought those thermostats. Well worth the peace of mind! :)

11. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

You can't possibly be more paranoid than I am (I'm a world champion according to my husband! :eek: ), but I'll be happy to be your sister in paranoia :D

12. Sentress

Sentress Elite Member

Julianne, sisters in paranoia sounds good to me... shall we add it to our signatures? lol.

Smallgrayfox and Merlin thanks for the info, I am definitely getting a thermostat! That will definitely help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.