This Disappears When Logged In

Who says you can't tame a Cteno??

Discussion in 'Ctenosaura - Spiny Tail Iguana' started by Dominick, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

For those of you that know, we have had our adopted Ctenosaura Similis (spiney-tailed iguana) for about 7 months now.

When we received her, she was quite the mean little thing, lightening fast with a head that could turn 180-degrees and very sharp teeth to tear the flesh. She took every opportunity to do this!

My wife Tammy has been working with her almost daily to tame the little brat and see if she could make her at least handleable.

After 7 months of working with her and a couple of baths with Rex, here's the result, which, to me, is quite amazing! Great job Honey! ;)

Now, lay back and relax....
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the remnants of her spay scar. Show us the pretty scar Teena.....
    [​IMG]

Just watch me finger and concentrate (doesn't her head look like Godzilla here? LOL)...
    [​IMG]

And all of this without gloves on!!!

It just proves once again that anything is possible with a lot of attention and even more love. ;)

2. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

How cool Dominick! She has really grown alot. And that is awesome that Tammy was able to get her to trust her that much. Great job Tammy!

debbie Iggy Bam-Bam and Miss Zak

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Wow!!! Fantastic job Tammy (ok you too Dom) :p I'm sure you gave moral support, lol. I really dont know anything about Spiny Tails, but I will take your word for it, ;). Post more pics, you look like a great tamer...

Just shows that alot of hard work and effort eventually pays off.

4. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Well, here's how she started out when we first got her:

[​IMG]

You had to keep 2 hands on her, immobilize her head so she wouldn't swing around and bite you and maintain nerves of steel as she gave you the most terrifying hiss you ever heard! LOL

Moral support? Yeah, I'm like 'Honey, did you hold the Cteno today?' LMAO!

I'm not fond of bitey pets. I like my blood to stay inside my skin. ;)

But, she was a turn in from people who no longer wanted her. They were terrified of her and rarely held her. Poor girl just needed someone to love her.

Her name was Fugly (stop laughing), we renamed her Teena two-toes (two are missing, stop laughing). And also for her namesake, Tina, who fostered her for 18 months until we were able to move to NC to take her. Thanks Tina! :D

5. venus

venus Founding Member

No laughing here :|.:D..But cmon Fugly...puuuleeeease..that is a horrid name, poor girl, no wonder she wanted to bite someone :rolleyes:

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

LOL....fugly....yeah I'd bite someone to :p

Glad to hear and see that she has turned around. Good job Dom, and Tammy.

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

LMAO....FUGLY?! thats horrible!!:p.. Good job with her!

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Gosh, and I thought I was bad at naming pets....
    I'm glad you guys are making progress with her!

9. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

So Tammy and your son are the iguana tamers. LOL Congratulations to Tammy. She has done a great job. Glad Tina (Teena) has a great home and new name.

10. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

Great job Tammy. Oh yeah, and you did OK on the camera Dom.:D
    H o w e v e r... I heard a rumor floating around in cyberspace... Something about a woman in N.C. that taught an iggy to lay on it's back and beg by using her husband as a role model.:p

11. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I can't see what you mean.. she looks quite the little puppy dog, what do you mean you used to have to wear gloves you big wimp!? I think you are telling us fibs - The original pic is obviously her just grinning at the camera! LOL
    LOL quite a turn-around, great job guys! My little brother will be so jealous when I show him the "Godzilla pic" - he's always wanted his own "Godzilla"!:D

12. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Excellent job Dom...err...Tammy. She looks so content now.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Great Job Tammy! Quite a turnaround!
    It makes me wonder if the same training technique is how you keep Dominick in line!

14. Tammy

Tammy Subscribed User Premium Member

LMAO! Thanks for all the compliments folks! I sort of became the reluctant iguana trainer when no one else would go near her. When she gapes at you and hisses it raises the hair on the back of your neck!! LOL

Fran - you can't honestly think I have trained my husband!? If I had him trained properly we would have a lot more animals in the house! ;)

It has been fun working with her. I'll tell you this much, I am still a little worried about getting her out of her cage without protection between my hands and that mouth! She packs quite a punch with those jaws! She's little but mighty! LOL

15. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Wow - way to go Tammy - you must be sooo proud. Dominick - are you sure you didn't marry a hypnotist by mistake? lolol

Looking forward to tons of pics now she is like a little sleepy puppy for you ;)

16. NCHerper

NCHerper New Member

taming Tina...

Tammy has done a great job of taming her, but we do have to give a lot of credit to "Tina" (her namesake) who fostered her for well over a year until Dom & Tammy could get moved here and take her. Yep, she was a biter-snapper-lunger, but when Tina first got her, she was skinny as a rail, wouldn't eat anything except cherries & pellets, and never had a decent UVB lite. Tina rehabbed her through her spay, got her eating decent food, and did socialize her to some degree. You should have seen her *before*. LOL. She certainly did always like to show everyone the inside of her mouth.

She is a beautiful girl now, thanks to all the rehabbing, etc on the part of several people. Great job, Tammy, Dom, & Tina! (Notice that Dom does the camera & Tammy does the holding....hehe).

17. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Awesome job Tammy. Nice pics Dominick LOL....Tammy knows as well as I do that you have to keep your men uh lizards in line....and we know how to do it LMAO....perhaps someday I will own one of those lizzies.....Lyn

18. Tammy

Tammy Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow Darry - that is a part of her history that I don't ever recall hearing! Thanks for sharing.

19. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

ADMIN NOTE: OK, I'm not sure I like the tone or content of this thread, so using my powers of Admin I am just going to modify the thread to my liking. If you don't agree, please find the button marked "Complaints" and make a post there. Someone will get back to you...eventually. :p

LOL!

Yes, my wife did a great job with the Cteno. She has been very diligent with handling her. Cteno likes her the most.

Although, she has many more years to go to tame me.

I'm waaaay more bitey than a Cteno. :D

LMAO Fran! You crack me up!

20. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

I think you're more bark than bite. Nice job with her!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.