This Disappears When Logged In

Whites' leg

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by Bitis Gabonica, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

This is Kermit, who we have had for a while now. When we got him he had a tiny mark on his leg, which we presumed he had somehow inflicted by catching it or knocking it on something.

He was originally housed with Miss Piggy, but she is quite a bit larger than him so we have now separated them.

Yesterday we got Kermit out to show Donna and his leg is much worse. Last time we looked at it, perhaps only a week ago it was still the same as before and didn't look too bad,. now it seems to have swelled or become infected??? We used a tiny amount of diluted tamodine on the area to prevent infection, but obviously it hasn't worked?? We are wary about using any products on the frogs because of them soaking things through their skin.

Any help as to what this is, or how it was caused, would be much appreciated,. ofcourse if we need a vet visit he will go, but I wanted some advice here first, especially because it has only just flared up. Any help? Thank you in advance. :)

Attached Files:

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Do betadine soaks work for frogs?

I really don't want to recommend anything because of how sensitive and absorbent their skin is. If betadine soaks are ok I would recommend one of those, like a 1 to 10 solution with water. Im gonna try a search and ill let you know if i come up with anything.

Good luck rach :)

3. Bitis Gabonica

Thank you :)

Betadine..?? I'm not sure if we can get that here. Perhaps it's similar to tamodine??

Thank you for your help.

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I think its the same, if tamodine works and is safe use it...don't even worry about betadine. Is there anything abnormal about him, activity or twitching..anything?

I found this http://www.jcu.edu.au/school/phtm/PHTM/frogs/formidable.htm
    Under each disease it has diagnosis, however it only lists like 2 diseases :rolleyes: The sites kinda useless but at least he doesnt have either of those ;)

Good luck.

5. Bitis Gabonica

LOL thanks for the link! :)

No unusual activity - eats well, goes to the toilet normally, good little jumper, active when we have him out. No twitching or anything funny like that, no. Perfectly normal other than the little injury he seems to have..

We have had him for almost 3 months approx, and he is kept by himself away from the others.

* Edit: It does seem to be painful to him. When we applied a tiny bit of diluted tamodine yesterday he did flinch as we gently dabbed his leg with the solution. :(

6. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. :(

I hope it gets sorted out. I would continue using the diluted tamodine in the infected area.
    Good luck.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Looks like it could be either a bacterial or a fungal infection to me. The white swelling with the pink on top looks sorta like a possible fungal, which amphibians are very succceptable to with the damp conditions that they like. That doesn't rule out the possibility of bacteria though.

First off, I'd put him in a sterile cage. The less that's in it, the better, but you gotta give him something to hide and climb on a little at least. I'd go without a substrate, and take out anything natural. Cleaning the cage out completely everyday will help make sure it doesn't get worse.

I'd get some electrolytes for his water. It won't treat the infection, but it will give him energy that he'll need. It'll help him fight it and help prevent a loss of appetite. Reptisafe is a water dechlorinator that has electrolytes in it. If you can't get any, you could try pedialyte or if nothing else, Gatorade is better than nothing at all. I'd dilute the Pedialyte and the Gatorade though if you use those.

As for a possible treatment, Betadine could help. There aren't many, if any, medications designed for amphibians, but when meds are needed, fish meds will usually help. Your tamodine may help. Especially if the wound is open at all. Make sure that whatever you use, dilute it a lot. Hydrogen peroxide may also help disinfect it if its open. I'd put some on a cotton ball and dab the area with it. If you can find malachite green, I'd get some of that. If its fungal, a solution of 2% malachite green and 98% water may help. Soak him in the solution for about 5 minutes every 24 hours. If you can't find malachite green, see if you can find murcurochrome and use it like the malachite. If no improvements show after 3 treatments, I'd stop using it and go to the vet. Check out a pet store and look at the fish meds. If you can find some fish antibiotics, they could help. Apply the usual diluting rule though. Other possible treatments for a fungal infection would include Sulfadiazine or Tetra Fungistop. A rather extreme solution would be to find 8-hydroxyquinoline and coat the area with an extremely diluted solution (like 1 part that per every 5,000 parts water).

A visit to a good herp vet would help though. As long as he's still eating good, that's very encouraging. I hope you can get him treated sucessfully!

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

AWWW the poor baby! I hope he gets better soon...

9. Bitis Gabonica

Great advice Matt, thank you for posting it all here in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

I went to the pet shop and hunted for fish antibiotics, there were two that stood out, one for bacterial and one for fungal infections, but I didn't buy any yet as I wanted to check the product names with you, which we discussed in our conversations.

We are still using diluted tamodine on the area, which when we used it yesterday he didn't flinch or show pain as he did the day before. Just a point - the raised area isn't white. It is green (well, the colour of his skin) with the pink wound on top.

Kermit is still eating very well, and although we weren't aware of his weight when we got him, he is now 26g, and has gained weight, which is apparent just by looking at him (before his back bones stuck out quite a lot, now they are not so apparent, and the fatty part of his skin hangs over his ears just slightly, indicating that he is not overweight but not underweight.)

We will continue treatment with the tamodine, and I will check on the products and see about buying them to soak him in. Thanks for the advice,. if we see no improvement in a couple of days we will have to visit the vet.

:)

10. Bitis Gabonica

Thought I would post an update on Kermit.. luckily his leg is clearing up nicely. We have been applying diluted tamodine on it and the lump has disappeared and the white marks. There is still the small pink wound area but hopefully with time and more tamodine it will clear up also.. If not we'll pay the vets a visit or try soaking in a fish antibiotic. :)

11. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome to hear Rach. Are White's Tree Frogs prone to any skin disease that may cause these infected areas. I had one a while back from a rescue and had him for quite awhile. I adopted him out and the person that took him said he died due to a lot of open sores on his body. So I am really glad yours is doing OK. Mines name was Kerbit...lol

12. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

That's really good news!

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Awesome news Rachel! I'm so glad he's pulling through ok. Amphibians can be so difficult to treat successfully, but it looks like Kermit's making a great recovery! :D

14. Bitis Gabonica

Aww Kerbit!! That is so sweet! :p Sorry to hear he didn't make it though.. :(

Thanks for your comments, i will get more pics up soon. He still isn't completely healed, far from, but his wound has gone down and appears better. Hopefully continued use of tamodine will clear it right up. If not there are other treatments we can use.

Also, great news, since we last weighed him about a week ago he has gained 3g!! He is visually plumper, and hopefully will continue to do well. Thanks for all the help too.

15. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

white's are great, i love mine (dumpy).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.