This Disappears When Logged In

White Spots

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Moshpitrockchick, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

:( I recently inherited a sick iguana he has some sort of skin condition. Around his neck area close to the nuchal crest he has hard white spots with black rings around them. they are not causing discomfort but i cannot find any information on what they might be. any help will be greatly appreciated! :confused:

Admin note: Duplicate threads merged
  2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is a fungal skin condition called black spot that affects iguanas that have been kept in unsanitary conditions.
    Iguanas normally have tough raised bump like scales on their necks. Could this be what you are seeing? Can you post a closeup picture of them?
    If in doubt I would suggest seeing a good herp vet.
  3. Moshpitrockchick

I Was also thinking that it may be blackening skin syndrome,but it doesn't look like any of the pictures that i have been able to find. The spots are about 3 times the size of the tuberculate scales and they are raised. I am working on getting a close up picture, but for the time being all I can do is describe them. I live in the middle of nowhere so it is difficult to get to an experienced vet, so i am trying to get an idea of what I am working with before i take him in.
    Thanks a bunch!
  4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Could they be burn scars? Burns have a tendency to be white in color....Lyn
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are having trouble locating a qualified vet near you there are two sources to check.
    One of them is
    This lists herp vets placed there by recommendation of their patients.
    also there is
    This is the association of Reptile and Amphibian Vets
    I found 2 on here that are in Spokane.
  6. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

You should take it to a vet post-haste!

My first guess would be some type of fungal infection of the scales...
  7. chaos_angel

chaos_angel New Member

oh god.... in another reptile forum a girl posted something like this. he got it formt he pet shop like that. get it to the vet. she lost her's about 2 or so days after the post. i understand the middle of no where thing. i'm lucky though i have vets around me. please for your ig. try to wash him up and be nice and maybe rub at the skin and clean that area out the best you can with out hurting the iguana. please get it help.

mine has the small bumps but i knwo those are normal becuase i wash him all the time and his shedding is great. just though wash him, maybe try to see if he is shedding and see if you can help with that as much as you can. sorry, but i don't want to see a post of a dead iguana....
  8. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

This sounds very much like a thermal burn. Thermal burns are caused from betting to close to a heat source. Just keep your eyes on them. Usually when they're small they heal fine on their own. Silvadene is a very good burn medicine used for igs that you can get from the vet. Hopefully this picture comes up fine...*crosses fingers* It is supposed to show (but not super-visable) the small thermal burns on Zair's side he recieved from a heat source. Go here if it doesn't show up:

You should still get your ig to a vet for an initial checkup since the previous care was obviously poor. Read the care section on green iguanas in this forum: HC Care Sheet - Green Iguana

You will have a lot of work ahead of you. Malnourishment can create many problems. One of the biggest right now will be dehydration. Mist the food well, but don't drown the food... ;) . In time your ig will fill out and become healthier, more active and possibly aggressive, fearful...or just testing the water with you depending upon the age of the ig. Then there's the ig that is a peach from the very beginning. Maybe you'll get lucky... :p .

Good luck to you and let us know what the vet says!
  9. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Both this and the other response are good diagnoses' for the amount of info given. Now get your ig to the vet to have it really diagnosed; nothing can be accuratly done online by amature keepers and with the type of condition(s) you describe there is nothing you can do alone.

I waited a while after the initial signs of my ig's illness and ended up paying for it in the end. Catching this whilie it is still local is the best thing you can do, once it becomes systemic you have little chance of keeping the lizard alive.
  10. Moshpitrockchick

thanks everyone for your responses...i'll keep you updated as to his progress! Judging by what everyone has told me they may be burns, i'm definately going to look into it. I am planning on getting him into a vet, but i just wanted an idea of what i'm dealing with. thanks again! :)

11. chaos_angel

chaos_angel New Member

i know your ig is doing alright :) no one wants to see a story on a herp not making it becuase of something the pet shop did and stuff.
  12. Moshpitrockchick

yeah, it turns out that it is just scarring from burns from improper lighting by his last owners, he should be fine soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.