This Disappears When Logged In

Which would you choose

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by sprkn1, Nov 21, 2007.

?

Which would you pick chondro or emerald?

1. Chondro

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. ETB

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprkn1

sprkn1 Active Member

would you take a chondro or an emerald? Do you have any reasons, which one is easier to care for, or would you say the better snake to start with. I am planning to start a new project, and am wondering which road to take, emeralds or chondros? Any thoughts and or advice is appreciated, thank you.

Ramon,

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: Which would u choose

I'm a bit biased, Ramon, because we have 4 chondros. :)
    I'm not sure that chondros are any easier to care for than ETBs: (I believe the care requirements are very similar.)
    I just find them generally more attractive.

My standing advice in these situations is to read up on both species and look at lots of photos, etc. Whichever you find personally more attractive to you, you'll be more likely to invest the time, energy and money into.

If you go for chondros, I highly recommend buying "The More Complete Chondro" book by Greg Maxwell. You can also check out his website for good information: Welcome to Fine Green Tree Pythons

Good luck! (Let us know what you decide)

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Ooooooh what a hard question. Andrea has beatiful Chondros and Craig (dogboa) has beautiful Emeralds....I have always liked both so I cant vote, lol

4. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Chondro. No real reason, except that I like the pythons just a smidgeon more than boas. Plus I've wanted a chondro forever.

5. sprkn1

sprkn1 Active Member

I have been looking at hundreds of photos of both species, I really like the chondro's due to their different variations of color and the changes it under goes while growing up. Would you ever be able to house more than one chondro or emerald in one large enclosure? I am currently building up my amazon collection and eager to start another. Do both species get around the same size when adults? Which of the two species is easier to find cbb as opposed to wild caught or captive hatched?

Thanks,

Ramon

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

The requirements for them are similar and i believe size is pretty close as well. I know chondros are rather common to be housed together not really sure if it is recommended though.

I had a chondro for a short while it was a newborn and was severely dehydrated and underfed when i purchased it. It was for very cheap and it was a challenge i was willing to take on and i felt like i did well. I maintained it and it even appeared to get better(i had to force feed it never would eat on its own) but after about 3 or 4 moonths it died

I know here in central florida they are quite easily available at Incredible Pets for quite a reasonable price as well.

If you are planning on purchasing one and aren't an intermediate/advanced herper I would say it is probably better to search for an already stable, feeding sub adult or better. Baby's and Juveniles are supposed to be extremely difficult

This is just some of the stuff i have heard/ read on the internet and i may be off, so listen to others as well :D

Oh and Chondros because of color variations

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I personally would not recommend housing the snakes together. In my experience it causes the snakes more stress than anything else. Also because chondros or ETBs can be fed inside their terrariums, you can have serious problems if they both decide they want the same rat.
    Also if one animal regurgitates, it's not easy to know which one. Housing multiple snakes together makes detailed record keeping nearly impossible.

We keep all of our animals separate and will only bring them together for breeding purposes.
    It should not be difficult to find captive bred chondros (not sure about ETBs, but Craig breeds them, so he probably can tell you more) -- It's definitely worth looking for a reputable breeder. Greg Maxwell's chondros are pricey, but they come with a lineage chart that goes back for generations, and the after-sales help is there as well. If I lived in the US, I'd try to get one of his animals... they are stunning! I believe there is a chondro forum on the net with links to breeders as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.