This Disappears When Logged In

Which Tank Is Better For A Baby Ball?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by The Splendid Monarch, Oct 23, 2015.

1. I'm considering getting a baby ball python and was wondering if either of the two tanks I have would work for a baby ball, and if so, which one is better.

One is a fifteen gallon hexagon shaped tank and the other is a seventy gallon rectangular prism. They both need to be set up obviously, but right now I'm just wondering about size.

Is it better to start a snake in a small tank then move it to a bigger one once it has grown, or to just start it in a big tank to begin with?

Attached Files:

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

As long as there are suitable sized hides available the size of the (larger) tank shouldn't matter. If you really want to keep the snakle in a smaller space set up the larger tank and then use a smaller tub inside that for a while. I've found that pegboard and foamboard cut to fit the rim help hold in humidity while providing ventilation better than an open screen top, though the screen top may be helpful for security. Velcro is great for holding the lid on in any case. The undergravel filter plates aren't much use though... lol.

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

I agree, putting the young snake in the larger cage should be fine if they have plenty of secure hides that make them feel safe.

4. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I like the hexagonal one and I think a smaller tank will be a lot easier to regulate temps and humidity wise. But I agree that a large tank is quite OK with a lot of suitable hides and "cage furniture" like driftwood, plastic plants etc. Just make sure the tops are secure!

5. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

Smaller enclosures are much easier to clean and care for, ect. If you start with the large one, however, you won't have to transfer your baby ball ever.
    Its really your own choice though. Either one works.